Leaking cam seal causes non-start situation. The solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking cam seal causes non-start situation. The solution

This from Jim F. on the audifans (US) s-cars list.

"I had been experiencing an intermittent CEL warning light, and the codes were coming up indicating a faulty CPS (Cam Position Sensor.) Car was running fine and would start with no issue, until a few days ago when it wouldn't start. So, with replacement CPS in hand, I went in and discovered that my Cam seal has been leaking and there was a bunch of oil and grit behind the cam sprocket, and thus the CPS was coated with dirt. Not having a fresh seal available and needing the car immediately, I decided to just clean things up nicely and put it back together, knowing I'd have to replace the seal, and could then put in the new sensor while I'm there. I reset the codes, car started and runs without issue, and is not throwing a code after an hour of spirited driving."

Now Jim is looking for cam seal replacement info. I thought I would pull a few things together to help him, using photos and diagrams that I already have or can access.

First thing is the cam cover will have to be removed (at least in my procedure). Since it will be off, you have a perfect opportunity to replace the Item 17 cam cover gasket (including the circular and half-moon bits). When removing the cam cover remember that Items 19 have to be removed as well. Also note that Items 15 and 16 are different lengths and need to go back to the same location later. Torque is nominal. Like 7 ft-lb, aka "Gutundtite"

The cam sprocket has to be removed, as per the first steps in Nate P's G40 replacement DIY: http://picasaweb.google.com/10413809...j2T5Twe1Oam2Vw

So then you would be looking at this (except with no cam cover):

While you could replace the seal without removing the cam cover, with the cam cover off, you can remove the cam cap "0" the one on the outer side of the exhaust cam chain sprocket:

The cam seal is item 8 068103085E

While some suppliers *might* try to sell you a crankshaft seal as the camshaft seal, the 054115147B crankshaft seal is 35 x 48 x 10. https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...147B/ES260046/

The camshaft seal is 068103085E is 47 x 10 x 32 which sometimes gets sold as a crankshaft seal https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...085E/ES278261/

If you remove that very front cam cap, it will a piece of cake to remove the old seal and install the new one. Installation is the reverse of removal. But first, clean out the seal housing area and the camshaft, lubricate the new seal and then install it over the camshaft. You might want to vary the location of the seal relative to the old seal slightly so the new seal is running on a portion of the cam that isn't worn.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

When I first got my S4 I had problems with not starting occasionally, and it was throwing CPS code, when I removed it it was covered in dust and oil. Once cleaned didn't hear back from it.
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

would be possible to ask p/n of factory bracket for G40 sender ?

Comment

Originally posted by sailaz View Post
        The bracket and sender comes as one whole. Pictured is a brand new Bosch sender, only difference is that the Audi logo and part number is grinded off.

Comment

As Laaf suggested, the bracket is not available as a separate item. If you broke yours removing it from the head (sometimes they stick and people get too impatient and pry them off when they don't want to be pried), it is possible to bodge it back together enough that it is fully functional using an epoxy like JB Weld.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all info ! Couldn't find myself in the catalog where it was hidden
            I didn't brake it, just need new for my new build engine with 7A head:

1x VAG 034905161/Bosch 0232101020 hall sender G40 (ADU/ABY/AAN) with bracket (No.10)
            2x VAG N0147404 allen key head bolts M6X16 (No.12)
            2x VAG N01152423 washers A6,4X12,5X1,6 (No.11)
            1x VAG N0132102 parallel dowel pin 6M6X16 (No.27)
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a lot for all info ! Couldn't find myself in the catalog where it was hidden
              If you had made that clear I would have directed you here:

http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+cou...905-905020/#10

Suggest that you explore that website.

Comment

Thanks UrS4boy, I know this online catalog and many others, basically they are all the same just has a bit different "shape", and I was looking in 'engine' group, not in 'electrics'

Comment

Thanks UrS4boy, I know this online catalog and many others, basically they are all the same just has a bit different "shape", and I was looking in 'engine' group, not in 'electrics'
                  Everything electrical will have a 900 series middle three numbers, e.g 034905101 and will always be found in group "9" electrics. Browse around the different groups and see how that works.

Comment

Update

You don't need to remove the cam cover that very front "external" cam cap (Cap"0") if you have seal removal and installation tools such as these alternatives

Fancy set:

Or

less expensive Removal tools:

or this official seal removal tool from Samstag sales:

Cheap installation tool (1.5" ABS threaded cap, here, sitting on a crank seal for example) which I used on a crank seal

Last edited by UrS4boy; 8 January 2016, 07:14.

Comment

Working...
                    X