What to do? EM blues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do? EM blues!

Well my S2 ABY EM is now cracked. I do not want to buy neither a S2 nor a RS2 cast manifold. I have a EM on my drawing board. I have some things I need help clearing out:

General disposition of "stuff"

I hate open air kits. I do not want one. No increase in power, more expensive filters and the MAF is even more unprotected. This gives me quite a dilemma. I then basically need to make a EM with stock turbo position. Possible? Well... Downside is I'll probably won't get it any better than a RS2 - but then again, I just need it to be AS good as the RS2.

But then I started to think. Building a EM that has RS2's performance is fine but I could do it better. But how do I place the LMM and airfilter? I do not have the dough to re-map it so it has to go on the atmospheric side. Where do I place it? Where do I fit the filter? I can't find the room. It also means I have to resort to a open-air-kit-ish filter but still I don't see where to fit it. Thing is - I don't want to hack up the car and I don't want a ugly solution.

I'll also need a new downpipe and a new cat. I my case this means I need a new turbo back system as the system I have on now basically is....not good at all.

I knew when I bought the car that it needed a cat back. So I started thinking dp+cat as well. So mainly that's not the issue. If I could just figure out how to solve the airfilter LMM issue and also have a good clean looking hose set up to and from turbo - well, then I'd just go ahead and do it.

I ran into the same problem when fitting my tube header. I'm not a fan of cone filters but it was the only way I could make it work. It was a tight fit but I'm happy with the location of the filter and there is just enough room behind the headlight to fit the hose. Here are a couple pictures.

Elijah
    Attached Files
    91 Audi Coupe Quattro- AAN engine transplant

Comment

and here is the filter location.
      Attached Files
      91 Audi Coupe Quattro- AAN engine transplant

Comment

Do You have the A/C installed in Your car? I have placed the air filter in the right wheel well. Between the metall and the plastics. Works good. And You have as much room as You want for EM, turbo, wastegate etc... Can take a pic of it if You are interrested!

Cheers!

Vegard

Comment

@Vagard: I would love to see a pic.

I had done this in my previous car (Impreza) worked well too... never got wet and I would run through all the puddles I could see.
          //-\\ ((_)) //)) //

Comment

Pic please!

Comment

Some firm in Germany is (or is planning to) reproducing the sport quattro style air filter. This would be a good option, BUT it would need a hole in the bonnet.
              -

Comment

Will post a pic tomorrow afternoon! Have to go and take it first!

Vegard

Comment

heres some pics of the engine!

An overall pic
                  Attached Files

Comment

A closer look!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Watch out for them big puddles, with the airfilter down there! I wouldnt like to see the destruction after its sucked a load of water in
                      Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Working...
                      X