Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP, no power, beaten by BMW 318, now non runner1!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, no power, beaten by BMW 318, now non runner1!

Where do we start - HELP!

Have a 220bhp S2 or should we say s1.5, it runs like a Fiat Punto, Slow and gutless.

On half throttle it feels fine but on full throttle it is breathless and is slow to rev with no feeling of constant boost. It seems to be giving small pockets of power almost like it is missing but feels like boost leaking.

We have checked and replaced or swapped for a 230 S6 the following:

1. DV
    2. WGFV
    3. IC O ring
    4. All main pipes checked
    5. MAF
    6. Anti Knock Sensor
    7. Emissions tested (seems to rule out Lamda
    8. Cats removed for straight through
    9. Plugs
    10. Exhaust Valves Replaced
    11. ECU reset (fuses pulled/battery disconnected)
    12. All conectors cleaned
    13. Tried WGFV bypass but go overboost cut out
    14. Turbo check, working fine

After all this the car is much the same but is now revs alittle more freely but still not S2 quick not even BMW 318 quick (thats bad). Please help, can not put up with being burned up by any more WRX,s or BMW's. Still have the S6, that is a rocket in comparison.

To top it all the dam thing is in bits, a non runner. Got a very loud knocking noise from inside the engine which got worse by the second till it sounded fatal. Checked it out and found first Tappet stuck (front of car) replaced it and still sounded the same. Now no oil pressure so replacing the oil pump (oil return valve seemed to be stuck open) but also some suspect metal/copper/brass shavings in gunge in sump.

Thought may be problem with leads or distributor but would that cause bad boost problems this bad?

Have not checked waste gate yet, not sure how to test this.

Hope you experts can help, the car has been a bad egg for a year, help get it back burning up the oppersition.

Damn, if I was finding swarf of that description in my sump I would take the engine apart before looking for a low boost problem. You might have lost a rod bearing

Gunge in Sump? Has it ever had a service?

The symptoms you offer could point to an ignition fault such as the plug leads or something amiss is the distributor: this will cuase an apparent low boost problem. Replace your fuel filter, check your fuel pump and after that check the fuel rail pressure. What are your emissions like during the standard MOT type test? Rich, Lean?

Good luck!
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

I would recheck all main hoses via a pressure test if it has not been done. Not visually specially the IC O-ring

Also check wastegate as lately some are lossing pressure through the top.
      Contact Lee for the proper test pressure equipment
      94' RS2 Coupe TT (Twin Torsen )

Comment

You've changed exhaust valves but haven't read the ECU fault codes? WOW. Great.

Well, it's probably a boost leak anyway. Try the S6 MAF also. And replace the lambda even if the emission test was ok.

There are not too many copper or brass components in the engine. Main/big end bearings? Better to find out before the bill gets BIG.
        -

Comment

According to your profile you have a 3b which IIRC has the original style distributer, this is prone to stripping. the mistiming would cause bad runnin, detonation, lack ofm power.

HTH

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
            According to your profile you have a 3b which IIRC has the original style distributer, this is prone to stripping. the mistiming would cause bad runnin, detonation, lack ofm power.

HTH

David
            IIRC didnt they come with plastic gears and not copper unless it has previously been replaced
            Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Original dizzy had plastic gear that breaks up and can cause poor running, this will make it no start tho. BTDT.

As for the copper colour fillings, thats either big ends or mains. Sounds like its time to strip it down and do a full rebuild!!
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                Sounds like its time to strip it down and do a full rebuild!!
                Ever get the feeling youve BTDT!

Comment

I never 'ground' the engines insides to bits I just bent a conrod
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Hmm, doesn't sound very nice. As the others have stated, bits of copper or other metalic particles would suggest you've spun a big end or journal bearing..That's a full rebuild or replacement engine
                    91 Modded 3B
                    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

chris has when he blew the bottom end out but we made it back to work
                      94 s2 avant
                      aoc member 1116

Comment

Originally posted by pastures16
                        chris has when he blew the bottom end out but we made it back to work
                        Yeah that was quite funny at the time! F1 style bits flying out the back of the car! LOL!

Comment

The Metal shavings are old, this car was sevice by Audi Main dealer up until last year, some thing could have happened years ago, I do not rate main dealer servicing. We are going to check the engine out a little more before we put it back together.

The small gear piece coming off the dizzy is a metal one not the original plastic type. I still suspect an ignition fault but would this make the car feel like it is not boosting, it is a big loss of power/boost? I am interested in the suggestion of a fuel problem, has any one had the same problem, if so, how did the car perform.

As far as I know the thing is runnin lean, it sailed through the MOT.

Anyone know of someone in the Suffolk, England area that may be able to help or is there a meet in the UK soon?

Thanks for the help, will keep you posted on my progress.

Comment

Could be a blocked fuel filter, if its dealer serviced that 99% sure means that the filter is the original one. So at least 12 years old!!! I would take those fillings a bit more seriously tho. If the dizzy wasnt timed correctly then it wouldnt start. Fuel pumps have also been failing on these older cars over the last year or so, so i would change the filter and then get a garage to check the fuel pressure.

Might also be worth checking for fault codes? What is boost doing? How much, does it drop off very fast etc etc
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                            X