My first boost leak ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first boost leak ever.

Just had my first boost leak this weekend. Was just slipping on ice with summer tires, revving not hard ~4000rpm, and suddenly engine went dead.

After starting it again - rattling, very poor idle (below 1000rpm), and absolutely impressive clouds of black smoke. Tried to push throttle just to get rpms higher (I don't want to ruin crankshaft bearings), engine refuses to run, however runs like in series with one second interval.

Checked ECU for errors - nothing.
    Checked hoses - nothing suspicious.
    Replaced ECU - car starts, starts to rattle and shake, putting clouds of black smoke.
    Disconnected MAF - the same
    Disconnected TPS - the same
    Replaced MAF - the same (!).

That made segfault in my head . Could not figure out, what is wrong, checked all connectors, swapped power output stages, measured coils. WTF is going on ?

Called a friend (Uukrul here) . He said, check for boost leak again and again until you find it.

Layed on the snow under the car, and found half of the hose come off the connecting piece of alloy which is used to split air to the BPV. This come off part was of course to the bodywork side, and I could not see it from above (open bonnet). Also it somehow broke the clamp, which was looking normally, however thread went off. Cheap chinese stuff .

The conclusion may be - "Boost leaks usually are not obvious, and sometimes very hard to find"

Just shared my impressions ...

Sau
    200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
    CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Lucky you found that one mate, get a pressure test kit and you can trace the fault the hissing sound!

Comment

Working...
    X