Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo upgrade options

Hi guys.

I've finally fixed all the big and little problems concerning my UrS4. The engine has been rebuilt and broken in, works very well. The drivetrain is in the process of strengthening and will soon be finished. Time has come to think about the turbo upgrades. After reading numerous threads and opinions I still haven't made a definite choice. Was hoping you guys could share your opinions and experiences of various turbo builds and chime in with some advice on what's better for what cost & purpose.

So the premise is that it's a daily driver, and should be a fun daily driver, but can be taken occasionally to a track day or drag strip (no dyno queen). While at the engine work, I made a few upgrades to make sure I don't break something with more power. I have FCP X-beam rods in place and the Wagner RS2 EVO exhaust manifold.

My future purchase will definitely be Bosch 440cc Green Tops & Bosch 044. The turbo's I'm leaning towards right now are:
    1) K24-7200 (preferably Billet with faster spool) from Vidar.
    2) Garrett hybrids from 034 (for example https://store.034motorsport.com/turb...arrett-gt.html)
    3) Very unlikely - K24-7400.

Issue with Garrett's is that 034 kits are quite expensive (+ import tax) and I've heard that 034 stuff isn't very reliable. Additionally, I need the oil and water line mods.

The main focus is more torque than power, hence the rod upgrade. And it has to be driveable in the city. Mapping - want to visit PRJ for a MAF-less live tune. Also want to keep the look under the hood as stock as possible, as I have a full set of silicone hoses there, would very much like to keep them, so turbo inlet and outlet should preferably be the same as K24-7000.

Some clutch advice to hold all this will also be very appreciated. Heard that organic Sachs clutches are pretty good both on the torque and driveability in traffic.

Appreciate your thoughts very much.

i have a k24 7400 with TTRS compressor wheel and 360 degree bearing, so i have 1,9 bar at 2900 down to 1,3 bar at 7000.. you have to machine the k24 7000 exhaust housing so you can bolt it on the header..
    1990 Audi 100 2.2 Turbo Quattro with VEMS, K24 2480, ported and milled 10v head

Comment

I know about the housing. Problem with 7400 is that it's rare here and the necessity of intake plumbing change, which I would like to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From watching everyone else on here for years, as it's a C4q daily driver, I'd suggest a K24 billet or a K24 7200, on an RS2 style exhaust manifold, suitable injectors, and a mapping from Prj, and whatever else he might suggest. e.g. MAF'less etc. 3" downpipe, cat bypass.

These cars are too big to track or drag. Much better to configure them for daily use, and if you need to track it or drag it occasionally if you must, but accept that it not set up for either and that's ok.

Setting it up for quick spool of say 330bhp to 390bhp will be enough for daily use every single day of the year with matching reliability / ease of fitting the initial upgrades and the subsequent fixing of any issues is the best way forward in the long run, for the 'least' money and grief. You'll be able to spend more time driving it than fixing it.

It is easy to get carried away on this forum looking at others with big skill sets on a 'weekend' car.

Just my own tuppence.

Enjoy.

Comment

Keeping the k24 frame with its oil and water lines sure keeps it easier. The new kkk from the ttrs can also be made to work, iroz has done a couple of them. If you want modern tech and spool get the little efr used on eBay and put it on one of Alberts affordable tube headers. It's a can of worms but may be worth it.

Comment

Turbo upgrade options

Originally posted by ringbearer View Post
            Keeping the k24 frame with its oil and water lines sure keeps it easier. The new kkk from the ttrs can also be made to work, iroz has done a couple of them. If you want modern tech and spool get the little efr used on eBay and put it on one of Alberts affordable tube headers. It's a can of worms but may be worth it.

Thats something new. Header is not an issue, I have the Wagner RS2 Evo exhaust manifold already on the car. I guess sourcing this kind of turbo will be the biggest issue. But as with the 7400, the new ones seem to be very good.

Comment

I would go for a k26 rebuilt with large comp wheel . very nice for street use .

Comment

Originally posted by vidar skotheim View Post
                I would go for a k26 rebuilt with large comp wheel . very nice for street use .

Don't K26's spool fairly late?

Comment

The stock K24 RS2 turbine can do more than 400hp. It´s possible to upgrade the RS2 turbo with newer kkk compressor wheels, there are some very good results here in Germany. Related to your budget and base, this way will work really good up to the 450hp range with full boost with 2,3-2,5 bar @+3500-3700rpm. These turbos can be built from old K26 ones or from RS2 ones.

Stock S2 turbo is a bit more limitede due to smaller turbine. Can be combined with TTRS.

Comment

I think I am limited to 2 bar max, due to stock head bolts. I chose not to go for ARP's.

Comment

So forget oabout the tubular headersmits ckrck,i try many of style and material!The best for street use is the Castiron-special!Wagner is the best one! Olso Kkk 24-7200,use the bigger shaft and you need custom compresor to fit the Kkk 16 from TTRS. If you can made KKK 26/27 hybrid with billet compressor wheel(but not oversized = surge) it will be a torque monster,ideal for street use.You can pump it till 2.0 bar without any problem!Exhaust housing =6 with good prtint and polish will make good job!

Comment

TJ:What's the good turbo for 500HP+ with fair spool up? My GT2871 just died and now the car is running with
                        MTM Turbo(it has RS2 compressor wheel but stock K24-7000 turbine).the spool up on this turbo is K24-7000
                        oe-like but the top end is down on its face.i just need some more room since i'm going to rebuild another AAN
                        though.
                        one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Hi Pop, not to hijack the thread, but what do you think caused your particular 2871 to fail ? Just curious as it is a good / size turbo on a daily I5 engine.

Thanks.

Comment

So a lot of mistakes!Sorry i drink beer when type my post!

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                              Hi Pop, not to hijack the thread, but what do you think caused your particular 2871 to fail ? Just curious as it is a good / size turbo on a daily I5 engine.

Thanks.

2years ago,The turbo created some noise from the bearing when spool down after
                              switched off the engine.i rebuilt it with the new bearing kits plus upgraded the
                              bronze bearing cage on the turbine.few months ago,i went for a midnight
                              run whilst beating the M3 E46.i suddenly lost my boost(2.0bar) and limped the car home.it turned out to be the compressor side bearing cage(non upgraded) broken and caused the compressor/exhaust wheels damaged.
                              one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Working...
                              X