7a cam valve clearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7a cam valve clearances

Any recommendations for valve clearances using solid lifters with 7a cams.
    Stainless inlet and inconel exhaust valves.

ta

The search function is your friend...look for lash caps
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
      The search function is your friend...look for lash caps
      Did do some searching before I posted and found very little info.

ta

Comment

Why are you using solid lifters with 7a cams in the first place? The ramp angles are designed to be used with hydraulic tappets and have different opening and closing rates designed into them for the limitations set by the type of tappets. You really can't just mix and match components like that and look for a generic tolerance to make it work. If you order a custom set of cams from a manufacturer, they will ask you what kind of tappets you are running so they can be designed accordingly.

And also, valve clearances should be specified by valve type, not cam type. It is to take into account the thermal expansion when the differing materials are up to operating temp and ensure the correct clearance. You should get this from who supplied your valves if they know the application.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
        1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Some suggestions in this thread

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=solid+lifters

I would be looking for manufacturers specification.
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
            Why are you using solid lifters with 7a cams in the first place? The ramp angles are designed to be used with hydraulic tappets and have different opening and closing rates designed into them for the limitations set by the type of tappets. You really can't just mix and match components like that and look for a generic tolerance to make it work. If you order a custom set of cams from a manufacturer, they will ask you what kind of tappets you are running so they can be designed accordingly.

And also, valve clearances should be specified by valve type, not cam type. It is to take into account the thermal expansion when the differing materials are up to operating temp and ensure the correct clearance. You should get this from who supplied your valves if they know the application.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm building a hi spec engine for a road car and with the damage hydraulic lifters could cause for me solid lifters are a no brainer.
            The cams I have seen that are for solid lifters all have a high tdc lift so not really suitable for low speed driving. I could get cams made or 7a refaced but with not being sure of the outcome don't want to go to this expense. I could do this at a later date if it turns out the cams aren't doing the job.
            There are plenty of people using standard cams with solid lifters with no problems the main difference is the ramp as you say which alters the opening time. I have read that some say the standard cams with solid lifters wear more but I don't think this is the case its just that all mechanical valve trains need readjustment at some time.

ta

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
              Some suggestions in this thread

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=solid+lifters

I would be looking for manufacturers specification.
              thanks

Comment

Working...
              X