X-changing radiator - advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-changing radiator - advice needed

Well I jumped in and started wrenching. Just have a question.

Is it easier to remove the fan assembly before pulling the radiator out? Or should I pull the whole unit out and take the fan off when I get everything out?

Both are do-able. Which is easier?

Ok, going from memory here so please bear with me.

I'm going to assume that the 3B radiator is similar to the 7a installation in the coupe quattro.

Plan ahead and ensure that you have replacement rubber isolators, two ? smaller ones on the top of the radiator and one larger one on the bottom.

Do you have an A/C condensor fitted? The condensor is held on by two 10mm bolts on the front of the radiator, and clips on the lower part. You will need to remove the plastic shroud behind the headlights to the radiator, remove the hoses from the radiator. You will likely also have to remove the perforated metal bar that connects the front pan between the headlights to the radiator.

After you remove the two 10 mm bolts, you should be able to lift the condensor a couple of cms to release it from the clips, then lower it back into the space in front of the radiator - you can keep the A/C lines connected.

The unfun part is accessing/loosening the radiator side mount - its under the power steering reservoir - I found that I had to remove the radiator overflow tank and a number of other items on the fender side. I also had to remove the hydraulic reservoir - and detach the ribbed metal pipe that connects the reservoir to the hydraulic pump- either remove and save as much pentosin 11s as possible, or be prepared to replace it...

There is a 13mm bolt that attaches the radiator side mount to the fender - you don't have to remove if, but you will need an open ended "crescent" wrench, I believe you blokes call it a "spanner". There is also either a 15 or 17mm nut under the radiator that secures the radiator isolator to the radiator mount on the vehicle - remove that nut.

Disconnect the wiring harness to the fan and radiator temperature temp sensor. remove the three 10mm nuts that hold the fan inside the shroud, push the fan into the shroud, and lift the shroud/radiator out of the car.

Installation is reverse of removal ;-)

Good luck
    Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
    1991 Coupe Quattro
    1991 Coupe Quattro
    1995 S6 Sedan
    1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

Thanks Peter, that was a help. I still have not gotten to one of the nuts on the motor side. They are a pain. I thought this was going to be easy but it is a bear because of the screws. Thanks again.

Comment

which nut? on the fan shroud?
        Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
        1991 Coupe Quattro
        1991 Coupe Quattro
        1995 S6 Sedan
        1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PeterS
          Installation is reverse of removal ;-)
          Not quite Run a tap through all the new radiator captive nuts - you don't want those breaking off - BTDT!
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by PeterS
            which nut? on the fan shroud?
            No. On the 3B the side of the rad is fastened to plastic sheets that channel the cold air to the rad. There are nuts holding it in place. It is almost impossible to get you hand down there and in my case, the nut and bold are rusted together so the bold itself is rotating. It's a PITA.

I thought this was a 2 beer job but it is taking much longer because the nuts are all rusted and cause the bolts to spin in place

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
              Not quite Run a tap through all the new radiator captive nuts - you don't want those breaking off - BTDT!
              I second that Doug. That is exactly what happened with the old rad which is why I am spinning my wheels - and bolts too.

Comment

Working...
              X