ABY/ADU T55 Motronic ECU Pin-out with hyperlinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY/ADU T55 Motronic ECU Pin-out with hyperlinks

This is a first attempt. It is based on the previous one that I did for the AAN with additional inputs re: wire colours from Paul Nugent's S2Central.net (Thanks Paul). Needs review/checking and probably editing. I have corrected a few things, e.g. the N122 and N127 portion of the diagrams but there are issues with the diagram and other info regarding the G4 and G28 pins and wiring colours. At least we can start with this:

The PN of the ABY S2 ECU was 895907551A. The replacement was 895997551X

As twoqu (Robin) said: "Don't forget that there was immo versions of both ABY (551B) and ADU (551C). The part numbers with X in them represent exchange items."

Thanks for that Robin. It gave me the leads I needed to start tracking the PNs back to the beginning.

8A0907551B was replaced by 8A0997551X on 01/08/2002

8A0907551A was dropped and replaced by 895907551A (for the ABY) - no date noted

895907551A was replaced by 895997551X on 01/11/2002

895997551B (for the ABY) was replaced by 895997551AX on 01/05/2002

The RS2 ADU ECU PN shows up now as 8A0997551X or 8A0997551BX but was originally a 8A0907551C which was replaced the 8A0997551X on 01/05/2002

In playing with those PNs, I found this 8A0907551C photo in a pricy ebay.de RS2 ECU advert:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-Steuerge...-/262293472974

The main difference between the ABY and ADU ECUs are the chip sets and the ABY has a 250 kPa (2.5 Bar) Bosch MAP sensor and the ADU has a 300 kPa (3.0 Bar) Bosch MAP sensor. There is also a change in the resistance of the R201 resistor on one of the Boards that extends the electrical range of the RS2's G70 MAF sensor.

The ABY/ADU ECU connector has 55 pin positions. The pins are arranged in three rows. The longest row has 19 pins, Pins 1 through 19. Pin 1 is nearest the metal release lever on the harness connector. The middle row is Pins 20 through 37, with Pin 20 nearest the metal release lever. The last row is Pins 38 through 55 with Pin 38 nearest the metal release lever. Not all pins are used.

The following are the Pins and their assignment. Wire colours are from Paul Nugent’s S2Central.net website. Note underlined Hyperlinks to additional information about the device in question.
    The Letter/Number, e.g. N71, are for the devices that are either being controlled or are sending a signal to the ECU. The Letter/Letter code is the wire colour code. Not all pins are used - especially on the standard transmission cars.

Wire Colour Codes used in the pin-out list below:

BK = Black
    BL = blue
    BR = Brown
    CL = Clear
    G = green
    GY = gray
    LT G = Light green
    OR = orange
    R= red
    V = Violet aka “lilac”
    W = white
    Y = Yellow

Examples:
    W/V = white with a violet stripe
    R/BK = red with a black stripe

Pin - Assignment - Device Code - wire colour - Comment (if any)

1/55 - Output to Power Output Stage - N122- G/W- for Coil No. 1 (N122 Pin 4/4) Detailed POS wiring info including the corrections to the factory schematics

2/55 - Output to Power Output Stage - N122 – V - for Coil No. 2 (N122 Pin 3/4)

3/55 - ECU-controlled ground for the J17 Fuel Pump Relay - BR/G - ECU triggers the relay after it gets the G40 cam position sensor signal by pulling the J17 fuel pump relay to ground through pin 3.

4/55 - ECU-controlled ground for the N71 Idle Air Control Valve (aka Idle Stabilization Valve (ISV)) – G/BK - the ISV is used to control the idle, e.g. when the air conditioning compressor comes on or coming to a stop.

5/55 - ECU-controlled ground for the N80 Evaporative Emissions Control Valve – W - Controls the evaporative emissions frequency valve - N80 - to cycle evaporated fuel vapours back in to the engine (NOTE: Bentley shows this as T55/3 on page X57 - presumably in error) VAG143 has it as N80.

6/55-Connection to A/C Control Head -E87- G/BK - Used to shut off A/C for up to 12 seconds when throttle is opened rapidly at speeds under 7 kph and shut off A/C for up to 3 seconds when in first gear and throttle position is at 65 degrees or more (full load) Ref: VAG143.

7/55-Input from G70 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor - BK/W - the MAF allows the ECU to know how much air (by mass) is heading to the cylinders so it can adjust the fuel, boost and timing to suit the conditions

8/55- Input from G40 Cam Position Hall Effects Sender – G - signal wire - Note lack of signal = Blink code 2113 and the engine will not start. J17 fuel pump relay is not triggered.

9/55 - Input from F96 Barometric pressure/altitude sensor – GY - provides a signal to the ECU to help control boost at higher altitudes - between 1000 and 4000 meters - prevents the turbo from spinning over 155000 rpm.

10/55- One of the Grounds for the ECU -BR/Y

11/55 -Input from G61 Knock Sensor No. 1 = W - for cylinders No. 1, 2 and 3

12/55- Power Supply (+5V) out to Hall sender - G40; G69 Throttle Potentiomenter and Altitude Sensor (F96) - R/BK -

13/55- Output to Data Link connector "L" for diagnostics - G/GY or W/R

14/55-Ground for Fuel Injectors (N30-83)- BR/R - ground on intake manifold

15/55-Not Used

16/55 - Output control signal to Fuel Injector No. 5 - N83 – BR/R

17/55- Output control signal to Fuel Injector No. 2 - N31 – BR/BL

18/55- Constant power supply to ECU J220 - R/W- from power terminal 30 (+12V) Fuse S27 (20A) – This constant power also feeds the Holding Relay for its work during start-up and shut-down.

19/55- Ground from the ECU for various ECU controlled devices - BR/Y - to intake manifold

20/55 - Output to Power Output Stage - N127 – R/BK - for Coil No. 4 (Note - some early versions of the Bentley have this as Coil No. 5 - but this is wrong, it is 4 - check it yourself) - VAG143 has it correct.(N127 connector Pin 4/4)

21/55 - Output to Power Output Stage - N127 – G/G - for Coil No. 5 (Note - some early versions of the Bentley have this as Coil No. 4 - but this is wrong, it is 5 - check it yourself)- VAG143 has it correct. (N127 connector Pin 3/4)

22/55 - Data Link Connector – GY/BR - linked to Check engine light (Malfunction indicator lamp) - also used in the blink code check.

23/55 - Output to Power Output Stage - N122- BK/BL signal for Cyl #3 Ignition coil (N122 connector Pin 1/4)

24/55- Power Ground for "actuators" other than injectors - Not found in Bentley,BR/R, ground to intake manifold

25/55- Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (aka - hot-wire air volume meter) - G70 - BL/V- Burn off signal from ECU - every time the engine is switched off, the hot wire is heated to 1000 deg C for one second to keep it clean

26/55- G70 MAF – SW/G or W/G - "Reference voltage, earth (ground) in"

27/55- Switched Power to ECU from power (+12V) – Fuse S32 – BK/BK

28/55- Input from G39 Heated Oxygen (O2) Sensor - G/G- This is the single black wire coming out of the O2 sensor to a single spade connector in the harness at the connector rack. The two white O2 wires are for the heater and are not run through the ECU.

29/55-Input from G66 Knock Sensor No. 2 - G/G for cylinders No. 4 and 5

30/55- Ground for ECU and ECU sensors – BK/V – Including G61, G66, G69, F96, G62, G42 and the Coding Card

31/55- Fuel consumption signal for trip computer – BR/BK or BL or BL/BK

32/55-Output to Trip Computer Boost Pressure Gauge - ??

33/55 - Ground for N75 Waste Gate Frequency Valve - - G/Y - also known as the charge pressure control actuating valve - lets the ECU control the boost - by dumping excess boost through the waste gate

34/55 - Output control signal to Fuel Injector No. 3 - N32 – BR/G

35/55 - Output control signal to Fuel Injector No. 4 - N33 - BR/W

36/55 - Output control signal to Fuel Injector No. 1 - N30 – BR/BK

37/55-Switched +12V for all 5 Fuel injectors (N30-N83) and MAF (G70)- BL/BK - Provides ignition-on power to injectors and MAF during starting conditions and then power to the MAF for the hot-wire burn-off after the ignition is turned off all via a "Holding Relay" in the ECU. (Main power to the injectors and MAF comes through the J17 FP relay via pin 87A and Fuse S28 after the engine is started).

38/55-T6ag Coding plug -Pin 1-BR/BL

39/55-T6ag Coding plug- Pin 2- W/BK

40/55-OUTput from G28 Engine Speed Sensor – V/V - Also connected to Ch.27 in the A/C head (you can read out RPM in the A/C head) Link to Climate Control Diagnostics

41/55-Signal from A/C control module –BK/Y - signal used by ECU to increase idle speed through ISV control when A/C compressor is activated (actually just maintains the idle speed when the extra load from A/C compressor is added to the system during idle)

42/55 – Communication with Autotrans computer and therefore not applicable to S2 or RS2

43/55 - Not used (*might* be Autotrans related??)

44/55 - Input from G42 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor – BK/Y - the ECU uses this signal to dial back timing (and power) to prevent pinging if the intake air temp is too high

45/55 - Input from G62 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor – R/G - the one at the back of the head that the ABY/ADU ECU uses to figure out if the A/F should be enriched because the engine is cold.

46/55- BL/W – Connection to the “R” pin on the F76 Multifunction Temperature Switch to flag an overheating condition so the ECU knows to back off the boost, etc. to help get the coolant temps down

47/55- Input from G4 Crankshaft Position Sensor – R/R - used by the ECU to control ignition and fuel injector timing

48/55- Combined ground through ECU for G4 crankshaft position sensor and the G28 engine speed sensor - V and G wires from G4 and G28

49/55-Input from G28 Engine Speed sensor BL/BL -allows the ECU to figure out the engine RPMs and make the required decisions

50/55- Road Speed signal input from the Instrument Cluster Speedometer -G21-W/BL-signal - also goes to Automatic Climate Control Head Channel 17 - which you can read out speed as well, the Servotronic Control Module, the cruise control module and the UrS4 lockable rear differential controller (under the rear seat so it can dis-engage the rear diff lock at 15 mph (25 kph)). More details about the white/blue wire and where its branches go is available HERE. More info about the G22 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) 012409191D and G21 Speeodmeter . The ECU uses this road speed signal to know that the vehicle is moving so that when throttle position switch (Pin 52/55) is indicating closed but the vehicle is moving, the ECU can shut down the injectors to save fuel while coasting. Conversely, if the road speed is zero and throttle is closed, the ECU knows that this is the idle condition and it keeps the injectors active.

51/55- Not used for standard transmission cars - relates to kick-down shift point for automatic trans cars. Third digit in VAG-com measuring block 005. Normally "0" until kick-down with Autotrans when it goes to "1". (Thanks to "MG" on the S2 forum for this info)

52/55 - Signal from F60 Idle Switch -G/V- a microswitch inside the G69 throttle potentiometer that tells the ECU that the throttle is closed. With this signal and the Road speed signal on Pin 50/55, the ECU knows that the car is either idling at a stop or coasting throttle closed and decides how to handle the injectors accordingly.

53/55 - Input from G69 Throttle valve potentiometer – G/BL the potentiometer on the throttle body that tells the ECU the degree to which the throttle body is open, which helps it compute "load".

54/55- Not used for standard transmission cars - relates to automatic trans cars

55/55- Output to Data Link connector "K" for diagnostics - G/R or G/G
    Attached Files
    Last edited by UrS4boy; 5 September 2016, 23:44.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Still looking for comments/edits on the above.

Also still looking for a photo of the exterior of an RS2 ECU.

In the meantime, Dave T. (CanadianRS2 here), sent me these two inside his RS2 ECU photos.

Question: Are these chips stock RS2 or ?? Dave T. said he asked before and wasn't sure.

Boost - 1 267 358 362?
    Fuel/timing -1 267 358 361?

Attached Files
    Last edited by UrS4boy; 31 August 2016, 21:11.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
      Question: Are these chips stock RS2 or ?? Dave T. said he asked before and wasn't sure.
      It's not stock ecu. Chipped.

Comment

Originally posted by kymi View Post
        It's not stock ecu. Chipped.
        How can you tell? Those PNs on the chips fit the standard OE chip numbering format.

Like the ones on the right (Stock AAN chips):

The ECU is socketed. Might or might not have been done in the factory.

Attached Files

Comment

I just saw the sockets or similar. Can't really tell on this angle and resolution. Might be that it was a too spontaneous first impression. But just for saving myself: you really can't say what's inside the chip by just looking the stickers.

Comment

Originally posted by kymi View Post
            I just saw the sockets or similar. Can't really tell on this angle and resolution. Might be that it was a too spontaneous first impression.
            I've been in conversation with CanadianRS2 (Dave T) today and he says that his RS2 ECU is socketed and it did orignally have the factory keepers on the stock chips (he removed them to take the photos). His RS2 was a May 1994 build so it was pretty new (about 2.5 months) into the RS2 build game and they (Audi's or Porsche's engine engineers) might not have settled on the s/w codes at that point, hence the socketting (in case they wanted to do some updates later). Once they settled on the s/w codes, I am sure the chips were just soldered directly to the boards. With the AAN ECUs it took them from August 1991 to mid-February 1992 (6.5 months or so) before they stopped socketing the AAN ECU.

Factory socketting chip keepers (from an early build UrS4):

Overview of the inside of his ADU ECU:

"Close up" of the chips in question (you should be able to see the sockets that they are sitting in.

Attached Files

Comment

As you would have to remove those silver stickers or at least expose the eprom window to erase and reprogramme them, its highly likely that those RS2 chips are stock. The number on the fuel chip is correct for the 551B variant ecu.
              Don't forget that there was immo versions of both ABY (551B) and ADU (551C). The part numbers with X in them represent exchange items.

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
                As you would have to remove those silver stickers or at least expose the eprom window to erase and reprogramme them, its highly likely that those RS2 chips are stock. The number on the fuel chip is correct for the 551B variant ecu.
                Don't forget that there was immo versions of both ABY (551B) and ADU (551C). The part numbers with X in them represent exchange items.
                Thanks for that Robin. It gave me the leads I needed to start tracking the PNs back to the beginning.

8A0907551C was replaced by 8A0997551X on 01/05/2002

8A0907551B was replaced by 8A0997551X on 01/08/2002

8A0907551A was dropped and replaced by 895907551A (for the ABY) - no date noted

895907551A was replaced by 895997551X on 01/11/2002

895997551B (for the ABY) was replaced by 895997551AX on 01/05/2002

In playing with those PNs, I found this 8A0907551C photo in a pricy ebay.de RS2 ECU advert:
                http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-Steuerge...-/262293472974

Last edited by UrS4boy; 2 September 2016, 00:25.

Comment

Need somebody's help here.

I've just confirmed that the AAN G4 and G28 wiring shown in this diagram is correct (I have spare harness and a multimeter).

G4 and G28 info: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/20986.phtml

Which is the same as this, i.e. G4 = ECU Pins 47 and 48 and G28 = ECU pins 48 and 49

Could some one confirm the equivalent for the ABY/ADU?

47/55- Input from G4 Crankshaft Position Sensor – R/R - used by the ECU to control ignition and fuel injector timing

48/55- Combined ground through ECU for G4 crankshaft position sensor and the G28 engine speed sensor - V and G wires from G4 and G28

49/55-Input from G28 Engine Speed sensor BL/BL -allows the ECU to figure out the engine RPMs and make the required decisions

It seems like this is inconflict with the larger diagram (or not?):

Attached Files
                  Last edited by UrS4boy; 9 September 2016, 17:41.

Comment

Those larger diagrams from the self study docs can be just considered a useful guide. The official schematics are much more accurate - and even they have mistakes and anomolies.

Also be careful with the term "ground" around these parts - those sensors share a common 0V reference point - that doesn't mean it is hard wired to Battery 0V commonly known as earth.

The same thing can be said for the 0V reference for the 5V supply rail generated by ECU for altitude, throttle etc
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                      Those larger diagrams from the self study docs can be just considered a useful guide. The official schematics are much more accurate - and even they have mistakes and anomolies.

Thanks Paul.

I've never seen a larger ABY/ADU ECU study doc schematic which has bugged me for a long time. So earlier this week, I made the ABY/ADU one above from a German AAN study doc that I have and info that you and s2-audi have compiled e.g.http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/workshop/sc.../sc_lookup.htm. I think the only "issue" is the conflicting info about the wiring of the G4 and G28 sensors. That I am hoping someone can confirm which version is correct. I checked my spare AAN harness yesterday to confirm that at least the AAN schematic is correct.

I will edit the ground/earth comments to reflect the 0V reference as you suggest.

Comment

The difference is pretty small but yeah Audi docs are the hell for referring to some previous doc then outlining the differences.

I have had a number of ABY and AAN harnesses in my hands through the years - while the wire colours vary here and there, the connectivity to G4 and G28 is identical - the ABY factory schematic is correct.
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I have had a number of ABY and AAN harnesses in my hands through the years - while the wire colours vary here and there, the connectivity to G4 and G28 is identical - the ABY factory schematic is correct.
                          So it's this one that is wrong (the 47 and 49 pin labels need swapping):

Comment

i have a LHD RS2 harness (very late, with immo relay and tow hitch relay) in my cq. (maybe you remember Paul, that you helped me to eliminate them).
                            Anyway, i used that harness with urs4 aan ecu and with aby ecu and i didnt have any problems.
                            sigpic

Comment

Also be careful with the term "ground" around these parts - those sensors share a common 0V reference point - that doesn't mean it is hard wired to Battery 0V commonly known as earth.
                              So pin T55/30 is not a indirect route to a grounding/earthing point? I guess I don't know the difference between 0V and ground/earth.

This is what I do know (using the AAN harness as the example - I presume the ABY/ADU harnesses will be similar):

7 wires enter the common crimp located inside the AAN T55 ECU connector. 5 of these wires are Green/Black, one is yellow and one is brown. The G42 IAT is one of the green/black wires.

A single green/black wire exits the common crimp and runs to the T55/30 pin.

I might have to edit the label on this photo:

The seven devices are, left to right,

1. G61 knock sensor, 2. G66 knock sensor, 3. Idle switch/throttle potentiometer, 4. F96 Altitude sensor, 5. G62 engine coolant temp sensor, 6. G42 Intake air temp sensor and 7. Coding card for trip computer (probably regardless of whether the trip computer is installed or not).

Last edited by UrS4boy; 9 September 2016, 17:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X