Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raise engine

Quick question,

I want to know if it will be okay to lift/raise the engine 10mm or so?
    Thinking about putting spacers/washers between the engine mounts and brackets to gain some clearance between the downpipe and subframe which current touch.

Will there be an issue with the driveline angle or any other compnonents?

Cheers
    Simon

10mm is not much.

You'll have the output flange on the tranny pitched - so driveline angle will shift on forward CV joint. That may or may not be much given 10mm.

I would think oil flow could be affected as well.

Just my 2cents.

Comment

Simon , would it be too difficult to adjust/ bend the downpipe or just take a sledge to area on the subframe

Comment

A sledge? I am one for agricultural engineering but don't really wanna remove the subframe as I've just had the suspension all set up. Did think about grinding off the edge where the downpipe touches.
        Bending the downpipe sounds hard

I have raise an engine in a 205gti before to gain ground clearance to the sump with no issues but then that may not apply to an s2

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

What about oxy and sledge on the pipe, obviously using an appropriate amount of force and parts sympathy

Comment

Maybe an option that I'll look into when I can get the car somewhere that can do this.

Comment

I've lowered my engine by 5-6mm with no adverse affects so I don't see that lifting it will do it any harm
              sigpic
              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

putting coilovers on the car also changes the angle of the driveshaft on the car. If there's enough space around the engine to handle the 10mm it should be fine. Offcourse the engine still needs some space to move around on it's rubber supports.
                1967 fiat 500 future project
                1976 audi 100 coupe S
                1989 vw corrado 16V
                1989 audi 90 quattro 20V sport
                1994 audi RS2 project
                1994 audi RS2 parts car
                1995 audi RS2 project

Comment

Sounds promising. I'm going to mock up some spacers to see if it works with all the pipes and hoses etc.

Comment

as alternative, perhaps you can look at lowering the front subframe by placing spacers to subframe mounting points. just don't forget to place same spacers for gearbox mounts to offset the drop and leave the running gear at the same level.

Comment

Working...
                    X