Chirp on liftoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chirp on liftoff

Have noticed this recently. It's usually at around just under 3k rpm, I lift off the throttle and there's a chirping type sound. It sounds more like air than something mechanical. I'd say it was coming from the turbo/wastegate area. I did try to record the noise but couldn't get any clear recordings. Was thinking wastegate but thought I'd get some pointers before randomly changing things.

Originally posted by Colesy View Post
    Have noticed this recently. It's usually at around just under 3k rpm, I lift off the throttle and there's a chirping type sound. It sounds more like air than something mechanical. I'd say it was coming from the turbo/wastegate area. I did try to record the noise but couldn't get any clear recordings. Was thinking wastegate but thought I'd get some pointers before randomly changing things.

I'd check if DV diaphragm isn't split. Few years back when I was driving my S4 home I had the noise and ended up being DV.
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

By-pass Valve BPV) info

Probably the By-pass Valve (BPV) aka "diverter valve" or "cut-off valve". Usually the "honk" like a goose when failed (diaphragm tears).

By-pass Valve BPV) info:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/20994.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks for the tips, the diverter valve is actually the one thing I have changed so far as I had a spare lying around. There's a chance they are both duff but for the noise to be exactly the same seems unlikely. Sorry for not mentioning this before.

Comment

Any other ideas?

Comment

P.C.V. system one way/check valve?
            a right beeatch to get to, underneath the throttle body

Comment

I thought I'd check the BOV again as lightening can strike twice. So swapped in another spare and this has cured the noise! Thanks for the suggestions. I really must start throwing away obviously broken parts!!
              Last edited by Colesy; 12 July 2017, 17:38.

Comment

If you suck on the vac line it it holds vacuum it's ok of not it's broken
                '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Working...
                X