Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loss of boost when I haven't touched anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of boost when I haven't touched anything?

Whilst away my car was parked up for a week in Bristol Airport. When we got back and set off home, I remarked at how noisier it seemed with the foot down, in as much that I could really hear the "whooooosh" of air as I accelerated, like a hissing air sound. Those of you with cone filters will know what I mean.

Anyway, I wasn't convinced the car was performing as it should. Just been for a test blast and sure enough, she's only boosting to 1.2/1.3 bar instead of the usual 1.5/1.6 bar.

The car was boosting fine before I went away. I have filled the car with fuel since returning too but it has made no difference. I am convinced that the rush of air noise is louder than before too.

I have checked the hoses and they seem to be all connected up ok.

Possible cause? What can have happened with the car being sat idle for seven days?
    acidtrax

Maybe some rodent has nibbled through one of your hoses.
    SS

Comment

Or maybe a bird has nested in your airbox!
      SS

Comment

Faulty bypass or bypass control hose?
        -

Comment

Where do I find that Porkkis?

It seems odd that just by not driving for a week, I've acquired a boost leak.
          acidtrax

Comment

The rubber has probably finally rotted becuase of all the jet exhaust pollution
            Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

If you are finding the leak difficult to trace. Contact Lee re one of his kits that enable you to test the hoses.
              Alastair
              RS2

Comment

I got a bit carried away.... and ended up taking the bumper off, and the intercooler. First time for everything.

I couldn't see anything blatantly obvious other than the connection between the intercooler and turbo. The hose didn't seem to be fitted to the intercooler properly.

Hopefully that's all it is. I do have a set of Paul's Samcos on order, but I can't be with no car waiting on those. Will fit it all back together at the weekend and see what happens...
                acidtrax

Comment

Well known weakspot. Lee has a kit for that too IIRC ! Got one at Baschurch but have yet to fit it !
                  Alastair
                  RS2

Comment

Hurrah!

Two suspect connections and one split in the hose that runs from the base of the turbo to the intercooler/DV. Repaired the hose, gashed up the connection where the o-ring is with silicon and hose repair tape, job's a good-un.

Roll on aby samco's!
                    acidtrax

Comment

Working...
                    X