Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 turbo alternative

Hi all,

Tonight I looked into the turbology paper which pauln made, great Info , thanks for sharing

I did this because I am looking for an alternative for the rs2 turbo. I am looking for a turbo which can make lots of low rpm torque and more then 400 hp. I compared the garrett T04E 50 and the garrett T04E super 50 trim, I found (dont know if it is correct?) the super trim 50 more intersting as a replacement for rs2 turbo. I think it can make 2 bar at 3500 revs and do over 400hp and will not exceed 600nm, so I can hopefully stick to the standard rods. I read that the rods will not bend due to high hp outputs but due to high torque, exceeding 600nm.

Can someone tell me if I am correct? Has someone this turbo already fitted, Dynoplot maybe?

thanks,

Erik
    Getting everything sorted out for my 5++ hp project

You could always run a map with lower boost in the mid-range, to avoid rod bending torque. Then still have plenty of boost for a good top-end.
    SS

Comment

Yeah thats true, but I dont think this turbo will exceed 600nm.

I am just wondering, how do you know if a turbo has a quick spool up or not?. If I read it right it depends on the hotside, but how do I know which one I have to pick?

Comment

I haven't worked out the science behind hotside selection. Only that for quicker spool up you want a lower turbine A/R ratio.
        Sorry I can't be more help. Someone here must know the answers.
        SS

Comment

Yeah thats the same with me, It is still not complete clear to me. I know you can choose two kinds of A/R rations 0.48 and 0.63. I also read a lot about #6 or #8 hotsides, is this the same only garrett calls it (6*0.8=0.48 and 8*0.8=0.64) A/R and KKK calls it #(?). I think how lower how quicker the spool up, how bigger how more end power.

I read somewhere that Minhnea adviced the T04E super 50 trim with a #8 hotside. Maybe out of experience?

Comment

T04E 50 trim will be GT3071R. Will the best turbo for what you need!!
            Best Regards,
            Rubens Filho

www.audspeed.com

Comment

Thanks audspeed, but do I need the super 50 trim or the normall?

Comment

The super 50 is for big boost in the mid range! We are talking fro over 2.2 bar! If you want to USE the super 50 turbo you need new rods!
                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Billman, thanks for ansering I read your thread about calculating the amount of hp and torque for the super 50 trim. Here is the link of the excel file:

It produces max 593nm torque at 4000 rpms, with 2,4 bar boost . I think 2,4 bar boost is a bit to positive calcutation. But I think 2,1 bar boost much be realistic then the torque will be around 550nm. Dont you think the rods can handle this, isnt this kind of torque realistic for a tuned rs2 setup?, you dont have to change the rods for this setup, do you?

thanks,

Erik

Comment

600nm is the supposed limit of standard rods..... now these engines are 11+ years old, i wouldnt wanna run that close to the limit for fear of a very large set of holes appearing in the block.
                    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Thanks ant Maybe your right. ButMine has done around 85000 miles, and is in healthy condition. I know that a lot of tuned rs2's have done more and they still drive with standard rods. I even thought I read that the 3b rods where suppose to be stronger then the aby/rs2 ones.

Comment

I would be more concerned about the rod bearings on your 3B Erik. They are not hardened like the later ABY/ADU/AAN bearings, and if you end up spinning one you could wreck your crank.
                        Mines running 515Nm and i wont be going over that by much more with this current engine.

martin

Comment

These will be changed martin, together with the headgasket

What kind of setup do you have martin?

Comment

What is a normal price to pay for new rods?, Do you also need new pistons, or only to lower cr?

Comment

I have RS2 setup at the moment. You can use your current pistons, skim the tops if you want to lower CR, audiman did this.

How much for rods? well depends, anything upto and over £1k, although those rods from Sten in sweden are a good price.

Comment

Working...
                              X