Squeaky windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky windows

Hello all, my electric windows are making a rather unsavourery squeaking noise when operated.

I suppose i'm looking for some sort of 'blue peter-esque style trick i.e. 'rub a little cooking oil on the window rubbers'........ etc ???? (no havent tried this yet!)

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to try or how to fix/ease the noise.

Cheers
    Rosco

Mine do this as well. Would also be interested in a heath robinson style fix.
    Jon

91 3b S2

Now Sold

Comment

silicon spray - dont let it settle on the paintwork though.
      imster

Comment

I had a "damn" awful squealing on a previous coupe.
        I tried silicone spray on the window rubbers and greasing the cables inside the door.
        I'd give these two a go first.
        My squealing turned out to be the regulator mechanism inside running dry. Took the door panel off, unbolted the motor and regulator from the frame work and carefully took the back plate off the regulator, was full of water and had no grease left in it, motor was really stuggling to turn regulator with the worm gear. Just used some lithium grease (regulator mechanism is plastic inside)
        No more "hiding head when putting the window up" squealing

HTH
        Jas
        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
        2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
        1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Hi, have you both tried silicone spray lubricant on the guide rails. You will first need to remove the door panels, (5min job) then apply a stream of spray on the two rails that the window guides run on. Run the windows up and down several times then repeat spray. That should do the trick and speed the operation of the windows. Id recommend the same spray on the sun roof mechanism as well.

Comment

where can you buy silicone spray from?

Cheers
            Jon

91 3b S2

Now Sold

Comment

Yep, I also have a case of the squeeks. Just the drivers side.
              Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
              S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Sweet.... You can pick up silicon spray from most hardware shops, its a little like WD40 but NOT quite the same.

Comment

i got this can from halfords, cost just a little bit more than wd40 but well worth it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

In addition to this there are a bunch or small "wheels" that guides the wire inside the door. These were the ones making noise for me. I used silicon spray on those *******s to. =) I didn't find the pics i took on em but on this pic below you get an idea where atleast one of em are located. Think there are three of em. Good luck!

http://h2o.gotdns.org/audi/squeeeeeeeeek.jpg
                    /NEO - I have a sexual thing for big brakes.
                    www.irry.com | Irry got a face lift!
                    #nordicaudi @ irc.nordicaudi.com

Comment

Originally posted by NEO
                      In addition to this there are a bunch or small "wheels" that guides the wire inside the door. These were the ones making noise for me.
                      Same for me too, just gave the pulley wheels a blast with the silicon spray and all was well.

Comment

hmm got to get round to doing this, as its been warm and dry for weeks now it always seems to set the drivers door off squeaking
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I seem to get the same problem when driving over bumps, the drivers window makes a clicking noise when fully up, bring the window down a touch and its problem solved. Anyone else with the same problem?

Cheers,
                          Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

Chris,
                            Yes same problem here It's very annyoing because it gives me the feeling that the chassis is not that stiff anymore

Problem is since 2 months i think.

Hope anyone has a solution for this?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Floppy View Post
                              Chris,
                              Yes same problem here It's very annyoing because it gives me the feeling that the chassis is not that stiff anymore
                              Have you ever opened or closed the door on a Coupé when it's jacked up on the sill? I don't think they were strong when they were new.
                              91 Modded 3B
                              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Working...
                              X