Rust inhibitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust inhibitors

I am going to have to deal with rust on exposed suspension and other parts on the underside of the car. I have heard good things about something called POR15.

Any BTDT with this or any other rust inhibitors? I can't be the only guy with this prob.

Rich

I have a couple of cars which are over 50 years old, I find the only thing to do is to remove all the rust wire brush, sand blast etc.
    PA10 has a 9 month maritime rating ( just one coat of this primer will protect for 9 months on a saltwater dockside. It is used for oil rigs

I then use PA10 primer which is from Akzo Nobel and then a 2 part mix which is called duosolid 90 ( 90% shine ) duosolid 50 is 50% shine etc. use 1:1 thinners / duosolid + hardener it goes a long way

By the time you have this lot applied you have a shiny protective surface any colour you want, I use black though. It is resistant to stone chips and if it's good enough for oil rigs then it's good enough for me.

POR15 is expensive in comparison.

Comment

Thanks for that. I can get Akzo Nobel stuff very easily.

Comment

Once it's done don't forget to spray with wax rustproofing spray. such as Waxoyl.

You don't want to do it again!!.

http://www.waxoyl.com/

Comment

Rich,

Do you work for Sony/Ericsson as you are living in Lund? I worked for them a few years back and used to go out to their offices there, Nya Vattentornet or something.

Cheers,

David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Ha, small world. I know a bunch of people who do ASIC development at Ericsson and a program director at Mobile Systems. I consult. About 6 people from the company I work for were leading the work to get Sony's and Ericsson IT intrastructure integrated. Poor sods.

I work mostly on R&D projects. Live about a mile from Vattentornet. For fun I use the round abouts up there on the hill as skid pads. See how fast you can go before you break loose

Comment

heh - small world indeed - though anything with the word integration and Sony/Ericsson would make anyone shudder!!!

You ever been on a racing day at Stuurup? I managed to trash a Volvo 340 round that place in the wet - awsome fun, my american colleague who had never driven a manual car had even more fun in a 240 - the racket as he was crashing the gear changes was hysterical And our uk sales manager ended up rolling his big style - the most fun you could have in a volvo i'm sure!!!!

Cheers,

David
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Apparently we run in the same circles. That's cool. Sturup is a fun track. Somebody actually rolled his car? Which curve was it that got him?

I first had the S2 out there before I had any decent brakes and I was afraid I was going to overheat and lose it at the bottom of that long downhill straight into the hairpin turn.

Comment

if i remember rightly there is a rise on the back straight about 200-300 m before the left hand hairpin onto the start finish straight, somehow managed to jam the car into a full left lock, came off the track onto the grass to the left and brushed the wall/barrier enough to turn the car so it was facing the barrier then it rolled - when he got out he was laughing but the smell of brown stuff was unmistakeable

Best corner is that huge left hand hair pin where you can hang the rear of the car out all the way round - not long after the startline.

David
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk

Best corner is that huge left hand hair pin where you can hang the rear of the car out all the way round - not long after the startline.

David
                    Yeah!! I know the one. That's a fun corner isn't it? You're right, you can break the rear end lose and actually drift the car around that turn. Let's me pretend I am a better driver than I am.

Comment

Working...
                    X