Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building sunroof

hi!
    has anyone convert audi s2 wuthout sunroof to car wit sunroof? i am thinking about that .....
    i would like to put original sunroof in my car, aftermarket is not an option.....
    do i have to change whole roof?

thanks
    Audi Coupe S2 1993
    Audi V8 4.2 1993
    Audi cabrio 1998

no i dont think so,you only need to have the original sunroof and roof cloth so that the person who will do the procedure of cutting will be able to do it correctly

Comment

How tall are you? Usually the sunroof is a PITA for people much over 180cm.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by porkkis
        How tall are you? Usually the sunroof is a PITA for people much over 180cm.

I'd agree with that!!
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Having just taken my sunroof out to check the seal and alignment, I was amazed by the weight of the unit. Not sure what the glass version weighs, but the steel jobbie is damn heavy.
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

so that is why im faster than other original RS2??

Comment

Originally posted by PapVas
              no i dont think so,you only need to have the original sunroof and roof cloth so that the person who will do the procedure of cutting will be able to do it correctly
              Only way to fit an OE sunroof is to replace the WHOLE roof skin, not just the area surrounding the panel itself. There's more to retrofitting an OE unit than just welding in the surrounding metal, there are not fixing points in a non-sunroof skin for the panel to slide in.

A similar conversion was done on a project car, belonging to the then Volkswagen Audi Car Magazine. It was a type 85 80 quattro (KK). Involves drilling out the spot welds that secure the skin to the main frame...
              Never show a fool a half built house.
              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
              The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

well,that is what i meant,only didnt know the excact words.You need the original roof skin so that it has the room to fit the sunroof mechanisms which sit under the metal roof.As for the welding,i have no experience with that,im sure there are ways to mount the sunroof.However since here in Greece newer models that are bought without sunroof can be offered to install one later on and OEM,im sure audi has managed to produce parts that are plug and play,and very costly of course!

Comment

Audi seldom make things easy when it comes to aftermarket bodywork. Same as fitting roof rails to an Audi 80 Estate. There are no reinforcing beams to fit them aftermarket, unless you replace the complete roof skin.
                  Never show a fool a half built house.
                  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
                  The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

@porkkish: i am about 185 tall but i never touch my roof wit head

about sunroof, look like i have missed my change last year when i had my car repaired and completly resprayed......so i have to forget about original sunroof
                    thanks anyway
                    Audi Coupe S2 1993
                    Audi V8 4.2 1993
                    Audi cabrio 1998

Comment

Trying to retro fit a genuine sunroof is in my opinion just not worth it. It will be very expensive and a 5hit load of hard work.

You would be much better off in buying a car with a factory sunroof already fitted
                      S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

But this isn't the case with sunroof. The roof is quite a lot lower inside in sunroof models.

Originally posted by valjo
                        i am about 185 tall but i never touch my roof wit head
                        -

Comment

Webasto supposedly do a good aftermarket tilt and slide fitting kit. I will be looking into all of this at the beginning of next year, as my 90 already has an aftermarket roof which I need to do something with, before I get my re-spray

Comment

webasto can rebuild a sunroof (glass) on my RS2 with all work done and expences payed,electrically adjusted for 1500euro.I did a skin retrim instead...had a large engine rebuild coming my way...

Comment

Working...
                            X