problems riveting door seal extrusion on coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems riveting door seal extrusion on coupe

Car is being stripped down ready for respray and i have been using this forum to research 'how to' do things as and when inspiration needed / it isn't clear / isn't working how it should do.

I've removed door seal, side glass, rear side glass and seal and A+B pillar trims and then drilled out the rivets holding the long extrusion / seal holder.

It all came out o.k, is reusable and i have the correct 9x4mm rivets ready to put it back.

It then occurred to me while looking, that my rivet gun has quite a wide tip and won't fit through the hole in the outer extrusion wall and sit down on the rivet head. This in turn means it is impossible to pull the rivet as the head isn't pushing against anything when you pull the gun lever.

How have people overcome this?

I was thinking either a different gun / tip or, maybe make a bush that does pass through the hole and takes up the slack. it would only need to be 4-5mm tall.

Ideas?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

I had to modify my bushing for my rivet setter to install my side pillar trims after a windshield install. Just used a bench grinder to whittle the sides down a bit.
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

You will need a narrow tipped rivet gun. I found that some of the holes on the trim had become larger as they had been drilled out a couple of times. I bought larger rivets to overcome the problem.
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

yes, some of the holes on this extrusion have grown. I will see if i can get a large head 9x4mm rivet, no reason not to really as it will work in all eventualities then! As for narrow tipped rivet gun, i will have a look. I have a Facom gun and it comes with tips for various rivet shaft sizes but they are all the same overall width.

On a different note, my £60 gazebo has just earnt its keep - downpour moments after the sunroof panel came out!

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I found some large head rivets, they were 4x10 with a 9.5mm head rather than the factory spec 4x9 which just don't exist with large flange.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-Pop-Ri...53.m2749.l2649

I also think i have solved the initial worry over not being able to rivet the extrusion back in place - a brass grub screw from an old 100amp connector block came in handy. Cut it in half, drilled a hole through it and that is now the perfect size bush to allow the rivet to pull against something.

My new question is about the double sided adhesive foam tape that Audi used on these extrusions. Because the part is riveted in, I doubt that the tape plays any part in holding it in place, i think maybe it is more of a seal than anything... If anyone has removed and refitted these extrusions, what tapes did you use? I had been trying to find a closed cell 1.2-1.5mm thick tape to take up and surface bumps / irregularities which could let water through but am struggling to find any. I have been able to find tape from Technibond cut to the right width but minimum order quantity =£100, 3M do a load of tapes but only 0.8mm thick and then again they are upwards of £60 per roll. thinking of alternatives; I recently bought some butyl sealing strip for remounting the rear lights and found this when browsing - maybe this could be a good solution? conforms to shapes, is permanently flexible and its purpose in life is to keep water out of places!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOUBLE-SID...84FjavCoqHM5dA
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I have some left over from doing mine Steve. I used 25mm x 3mm single sided foam which seems to have worked, can't remember if I cut it down or not. If you want to try some PM me your address and I will send some on.

Comment

now there's a thing. You may be looking at things differently to me and maybe it was never actually double sided adhesive in the first place

you could be onto a winner there Jeff - the foam compressed by rivets seals the gaps, the rivets hold it in place. bingo!

PM sent

Comment

Working...
              X