S2 coupe carbon roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 coupe carbon roof

I’ve got a s2 coupe with a welded sunroof but it’s not entirely flat so been thinking of going carbon roof instead obviously it’s not easy job to take on it will need the inside of the roof part with structure brace supporting the a b c pillars so that it keeps its shape then each spot weld will need drilling out then carfully removing the whole roof obviously the front windscreen is already been removed and getting a mould from it out of fibre glass to make the carbon skin roof then there’s vacuum bagging the carbon skin each time you use the resin to get all the bubbles out the carbon skin this will need to be done several times to get a good strong structural roof then laquering it few times for extra protection then bonding it to the car I’ve got a friend in custom fabrication and fibre glass trade so will need to ask him about this first but what are people’s thoughts on this project impossible or just go for it.

Saw a carbon roof on the new rs5 last week when i was out for a test drive in the new RS3. Was a £5k option...ouch.

if you have the time and access to tools and such to lay one up will be a nice way to go but sounds like hard work.

good luck!
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Yes it does sound Almost impossible but seen a few been done at shows and they do look well, material isn’t a problem it’s the resin what’s expensive and vacuum bagging it to get all air bubbles out is more of a problem I’m willing to spend if everyone who’s helping out is confident in job.

Comment

IV Seen carbon roof skins done on other cars plenty of times so it’s not impossible. I would Be interested in buying one if you get a few made

Comment

I would need to speak to a friend about the mould first then go from there but yes not impossible to people who do it for living but to get the resin to set with no air bubbles is the key to each layer of skin that’s more of my concern then when I get that right I would then go about making more up in later date if there was interest thanks Michael

Comment

I thought ACM and cool-wheels were making carbon and fibreglass versions of these but the problem was time and communication with cool-wheels so people strayed from them as a vendor however I just looked up each website and they aren't advertising them anymore maybe you should try sending them an email as they've already done them before and there would be less lag time plus they already have the experience so the learning curve wouldn't be as sharp just a thought this has been a stream of consciousness post brought to you from the other side of the pond where we typically use punctuation hope this wasn't as hard to read as your posts
            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
            2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
            2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
            1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
            1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

I have a non-sunroof roof complete with A, B and C pillars and headlining and it is really not very heavy, I can pick it up and move it pretty easily given it’s proportions. I think there are better places to invest time, money and hard work on weight saving. Lexan windows would probably save more weight, be easier and cheaper to do, plus they are “off the shelf”

Just my 2c.
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yeah I don’t want the hassle with another company from distance unless it’s close by really, but I know what you mean pry4sno

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  I have a non-sunroof roof complete with A, B and C pillars and headlining and it is really not very heavy, I can pick it up and move it pretty easily given it’s proportions. I think there are better places to invest time, money and hard work on weight saving. Lexan windows would probably save more weight, be easier and cheaper to do, plus they are “off the shelf”

Just my 2c.
                  Totally understand where your coming from Alex. My friends said if your making that s2 coupe fast why not make it stand out from other s2 coupes,so this is what’s brought this idea up lol

Comment

Just spoken to my friend who can do it and he’s told me there’s wet carbon and prepeg later is more expensive product but you can see the weave and will have laquer on top where as the wet is cheaper option but would need painting cost wise a 1 of would wet £1300 prepeg £1800 Sounds a good price just need to sort a non sunroof out now

Comment

Working...
                    X