Tell me about...Plasticoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about...Plasticoat

Looking for insight good and bad for doing a full car. I am looking to get a uniform finish as a stop gap for a full strip down and paint job and seems this could be an approach. Looking at a very similar pearl white colour with a gloss top as these appear the harder wearing of the options and i would absolutely be trying to avoid a McDonalds carpark candidate at the end

i presume the current paint needs to be in decent shape to apply with no chips and lacqueur peel which i think will be the spanner in this particular plan.

Thoughts...?
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Bite the bullet and get it painted mate
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Paint it for sure, wraps and these types of coat don't look nice at all honestly and over time they will wear and become even more ugly. Not to mention removal process can be a ballache if you do it yourself and another expensive if they do it for you!
      1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

If i had the money right now to do it properly i would but thats the reason i havent yet...just not got £3~5k to do it right and frankly having seen some others who have had theirs done...worried i will be disappointed in 5yrs time at how it has aged.

Painting it has become a real mental blocker for me on this car...
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I've used it to small parts and it works well for that, but doing a full car? Not sure I'd be up for that!
          sigpic
          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

I painted my car for £500 all in plenty of how to vids on you tube pop up gazebo and a driveway, just understand buffing out in the end will be a longer process to get it mint

Comment

Paint it

Comment

To everyone saying paint it...who do i go to for a decent job not just lasting 12 months but one i can guarantee will still look good in 10yrs time...?

usually either a crazy figure gets quoted or everyone struggles...
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

The guys in my area charge between £1500 to £4000 depending on what you want from the job hope this might help

Comment

I'll be posting the results of my respray soon, it's being done by someone who works for a body shop in his spare time, looks good so far. I have saved £ by stripping the windows etc myself. The original quote was under £2k.

Comment

Working...
                    X