Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Few places to check in a long term relationship with B4 Avant (rust)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few places to check in a long term relationship with B4 Avant (rust)

It is nice to share good and also not so good moments with fellow petrolheads
    S2 Avant SleeperWagon 570hv and 765nm on 2,2bar/E85

Are you asking or are you going to let us know?
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Wrote long message last night but somehow it got lost... tapatalk will not co operate.

Comment

Ok but you still haven't answered Dave's post.

Comment

IME the two areas that are comon are the leading edge of the two front wings where the wing meets the trailing edge of the front bumper. The wing liners should be taken down and the accumulated mud removed. It will slow down the progress of the rust.

The second area is centre base of the rear window on Avants.

Anothe area might be the spread of rust from beihind the rear number plate when the orignal deal garage drilled fresh holes to mount he nrear number plate - laving the freshly drilled metal raw and untreated.

Obviously the susension, subframes and calipers will rust from salt on the roads.

That's one of the great things about an ABY B4 is that they were galvanised, and so rust is not really a problem compared to other cars of the same vintage.

3B cars seem to be more adversely affected.

Interested to hear others experience.

Comment

Untitled.jpg
            Dirt accumulates here and never gets off until you clean it.

Also worth checking is propshaft tunnel above heatshields - there's no underbody protection, only bare paint. Some might have rust on the floor right behind the rear wheels and around exhaust silencer.

Comment

Let's try again, shall we...(somehow tapatalk lost all my writings earlier)

So, one should check the frame rails behind wing liners. Mine was tousted below the turbo area. There is three layers of sheet metal and when started cleaning the area, it was obvious that patch needed to be quite big. Also check rear wheel wells. The vertical seam might look OK, but it also may fool the eye. Same story both sides. Also the wing liner attachment points were gone.

These Projects seem to expand but maybe it is better be safe than sorry later...

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

I'm currently stripping the underside of my Avant. The worst area I have found so far is the straps that hold the fuel tank on. There is also corrosion around the lower edge of the opening for the front driveshafts.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Nothing anything like the above pics! No welding required on my car (as yet). Do you live next to the sea?
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I was once offered a Coupe cheap. The owner live a mile from the sea. The whole car was rusted to bits due to the salt air!
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Seaside cars are a nightmare I try and avoid them it's amazing how faster they rust

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                        Nothing anything like the above pics! No welding required on my car (as yet). Do you live next to the sea?
                        No I live in Finland where roads are being salted wintertime. The point though is that the factory underseal is hiding the damage pretty good. I had to dig those places out when I found the first hole...

This is like heads up...

Comment

I agree re the underseal once 'punctured' the water gets in behind it and 'goes to town' and it is not noticed until it has done proper damage.

All four wing lines should be removed and the area behind washed out and left to dry and any damage treated. This should be part and parcel of the ongoing / never-ending maintenance regime of a car that is a keeper, the same way as we change the oil at the appropriate intervals. Probably once a year in the spring. Easy to write this harder to do it I agree.

What brought t home to me was the red £b that a Nordic member on here when he started a restoration thread of his car. The floor was pretty badly affected by rust.

Someone may have a link to the thread, it would be relevant to this thread. Over the last few years I've come to appreciate much more why people in the US have a winter beater car.

Looking forward to the warmer brighter weather already.

Comment

Some more off "suprises"
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

After seeing these photos I think I'm gonna pull out my rear subframe because i've seen some rust there. Also I had to weld a bit in the rear wheel arch because of a clogged water drain

Comment

Working...
                              X