Paint stripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint stripper?

Hi guys, can anyone recommend good paint stripper that can be ordered online? Decides to have a crack at refurbing my Fuchs wheels but it's proving to be a bit of a nightmare as there are several layers of paint and lacquer which will take ages to remove by sanding?

Tia
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

NitroMors is pretty wicked stuff - never used it on lacquer for car wheels myself. You might find it better getting them soda blasted (or media blasted - whatever the yoofs call it this week) for little money.
    The renowned wheel refurb place local to me actually strips everything in acid tanks before they go about any repairs.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

NitroMors popped up several times on few forums but a lot of people said it's been toned down after EU came with their regulations.

I do have a spot blaster with some aluminium powder type stuff, would that work or be too harsh?
      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Thats what happens when you let a bunch of unelected desk-o-crats in charge of everything ;-)

Seriously though, I would seek professional advice regards the right material and type of blaster to use if you are worried about damaging something.
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Nitromers is weak these days. I had a really tatty set of wheels chemically dipped at a place that does powdercoating. £10 a wheel then I painted them myself. Much easier to get it done professionally than a strp the layers yourself.
          1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Exactly this .

Nitromors does virtually nothing these days. more sensible to get them stripped by the profeshnals..
            Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
            S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
            '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Thanks for the input chaps. Might try some paint strippers as I don't have anywhere near-ish that does powdercoating, but if it doesn't work I'll get them blasted or something. I'll post up what I used and how it went.
              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

See if you can get hold of Synstrip ( sorry cant remember the correct spelling ) I use this if doing a chemical paint stirp, lots stronger than nitromores, however I haven't used it for some years as the stock has only just run out. Scuff the finish, paint on thick coat and cover with cling film to expel any air and stop it drying out, pull off a few hours later. Burns like F&^%$$£&* so be careful, goggles a must

Comment

This the stuff?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Heavy-Duty-...f65302fff73064
                  '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Out of curiosity, I have a spare tailgate I want to strip down completely before spraying, synstrip would take care of that wouldn't it?
                    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Really disappointed with tis thread, saw the heading "Paint Stripper" and thought Yes please, at last a job for me I will enjoy

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you mate
                        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post
                          Hi guys, can anyone recommend good paint stripper that can be ordered online? Decides to have a crack at refurbing my Fuchs wheels but it's proving to be a bit of a nightmare as there are several layers of paint and lacquer which will take ages to remove by sanding?

Tia
                          Take them to a wheel refurb place get them to blast them otherwise you’ll be sanding them for a long time. Btdt it shouldn’t cost you much all best michael

Comment

That looks like the product, can’t guarantee how good the new stuff is but the old gear was excellent.

If you mean the GRP tailgate, no, don’t put anything other than stripper meant for GPR on it or you will have hell of a time, you might even knacker the tailgate. If it’s steel tailgate on something else then I would imagine that fine. I won’t even use GRP paint stripper, not worth taking a chance.

Keep it off the rubbers

Comment

Here's one for rubberdubber:

Comment

Working...
                              X