Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 years of ownership and still one problem i can't fix.... HELP

Alright lads.

Ok, so this one is SERIOUSLY doing my head in!!!!!

In all the years i've owned the S2, problems have come and gone having been successfully resolved. However, there is one that i have tinkered with time and time again but still not any further forward with it.

Yep, wind noise from the drivers side door around the triangle area.

I don't know how many times i've had the door card off adjusting the door card itself, seal, window frame etc but still no further forward. I purchased a second had seal door seal years ago but that has the same problem. The window is adjusted so it fits snug up into the seal and honestly don't think the wind is getting in there.

It's a funny one, because if i drive head on into a wind the door is quiet, the wind noise appears when there is a side wind going from the passenger side across to the drivers side of the car. All day yesterday i spent tinkering with it AGAIN, adjusting, taking the seal on and off, re positioning it slightly, packing the area with different material behind the seal, adding silicone to areas that i thought are suspect, spraying soapy water inside when driving to see if i could get bubbles forming, but nothing, nada, no bubbles or water seemed to be escaping or being blown back in yet the whistling noise persists.

It's like water torture driving with this whislte, AAAARGH!!!

Where the hell can the noise be coming from??

The window looks like the Original one and has delaminated on passenger and driver side, however there is no noise at all from the passenger side, nice and quiet. The foam that runs along the drivers side of the windscreen lifted out some years ago so i simply pressed it back in to situ. The wind noise was there before this happened though. Could the wind be getting in from behind this foam?

I'm not sure of the window configuration as have never seen one coming out so hopefully someone can help with this before i loose my sanity!!!!

Cheers chaps.
    Last edited by gmac78; 22 June 2018, 09:43.

Sure it isnt the seal on the base of the mirror causing it instead? Just a thought
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

As you get older you will hear it less, especially if you turn the radio up a bit!
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Morning guys. Well, as i was driving around yesterday endlessly trying different things, the thought did cross my mind whether it had anything to do with the mirror. It doesn't sound like it's coming from there but you never know, it's hard to pinpoint. If i park with a side wind on the passenger side of the car it doesn't do it, the moment i pull off it starts at around 20mph. I don't think i can wait until i'm an age that it will no longer bother me, hehe!!!

Is the mirror seal known to be a problematic area for wind noise?

Comment

Have you checked that there is a good even seal between the edges of the window and the door seal?

Comment

Not aware of any issues with the mirror seals but it is somewhere that could generate a bit of wind noise if not seated correctly that was all i was thinking
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

For diagnosing purposes …...Why not use some masking tape and put on areas where you think the problem might be?...…..then test drive

Comment

Yeh good call, i need try something different to what i've been doing so far. When i do suss it out it's going to be a good time, this has been ongoing for far too long now!!! hehe

Comment

I have a similar annoying issue to this since the removal of the door seals for the respray, the leak seems to be at the top of the glass near the B Pillar. It makes an annoying whistling sound at speed. Water also gets in here when washing it I noticed today, haven't got around to adjusting the glass but I'm guessing that will help, unless the seal has deformed while in storage.

Good luck fixing yours

Comment

Audi 90 Coupe fender-door height purposeful mismatch re wind-noise.png
                    Not sure this is directly helpful but here it is. At the extreme left in the photo you can see a triangular piece of the trailing top corner of the front fender where it approaches the A-pillar. There is a recognizable factory made mismatch in the height of the fender right here compared to the height of the door where the two abut. I recall reading of someone who decided to perform corrective surgery to this "defect" on their fenders; and the car became almost un-driveable until that mismatch was restored. IIRC, the unfortunate person thought at first the source of this noise was the mirrors.

I certainly don't suspect this is your issue, just wanted to point out how fault sensitive this area is as the airflow is going to be turbulent here and the vortices generated as air spills off the screen are going to exploit and amplify an fault they can find. As you may have surmised, a cross-wind will make the vortice (think mini-cyclone) on the downwind side larger and more powerful (i.e.give it more sucking power) than straight into a headwind. You may have already searched for any possible small physical or functional fit differences (due to misalignment, missing parts, joint de-lamination, loosness or wear etc.) between the left and right hand sides of the car? Perhaps make some dental impressions with plasticene? Can you say Ahh-hah? Or if you had an assistant with a squirt bottle or a lit cigarette, you could make the fault make bubbles/gurgle/spit or suck and pin-point it?

Comment

I'm also doing battle with the sadly inevitable door seal wind noise. No water leak, just wind. You would think if wind can get in, water would as well but nope! In the past I have tried inserting various densities and thicknesses of foam into the door seal at that front corner. There should be a spikey rubber triangle piece that sits in the corner... Over time the spikes squash down and presumably no longer press against the seal where it meets the door. My theory was to reinstate that missing pressure. I had some success doing that but my current noise is elsewhere! ​​​​​​
                      If you have put a different seal in then you should have seen it, but as it tucks 'into' the seal it's not immediately apparent its separate.

Comment

Or do what Ed China did on an episode of wheeler dealers and hire a smoke machine? He found the source of a door seal leak on a jaguar by filling the interior with smoke and seeing where it came out. Actually worked quite well!

Comment

Or, a tip I saw somewhere was to dust the seal with talcum powder, close the door and when you open it again, you can see where the seal touches the door as talc gets either transferred or rubbed off where it touches.

Comment

I really should go to sleep now.

Comment

Morning All.

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

Interesting reading about how the airflow around this area can induce vortices etc, helps explain why it's always on a cross wind i experience this noise. I'm also liking the idea of adding talc to the seal to see exactly where the door presses against. I think something like this will show up my problem. I too have had the spikey triangle thing in and out adding different material to pack it out. Nothing made any difference. Infact i removed the spikey rubber insert and the hard plastic bit that sits against it completely to see how that affected my noise and strangely it made no difference, in my case it was not any louder so that can't be the problem.

When driving and the noise is present, if i move my finger right into the corner where the triangle is you can hear the noise change, pushing on the seal and window to in an attempt to make it worse has no effect either. You would think it would be quite obvious where exactly it's coming from but this pesky leak is doing a good job of evading it's location.

In the past i've had many attempts at trying to find it but given up, this time round i'm determined to spend more time at it!!

Right, time to borrow the misses talc, kids play dough etc........

Comment

Working...
                              X