Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

painting aluminium wheels - what process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting aluminium wheels - what process?

hi guys, sure we have some experienced people on here who could advice on process of painting aluminium wheels? Best products and method to use to get high gloss finish?
    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

depends if you are stripping the existing paint right back - or not. ie, are you blasting or sanding them?

Its basically the same as any other bodywork...
    Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
    S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
    '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Sorry should've mentioned. They're completely stripped of old paint. Don't know which primers to best use for bare aluminium as more you read more opinions you find.
      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

The first layer down has to be acid etch primer or your grey primer and therefore top coat will peel off. I like epoxy paints both primer and top coat, they are tough and seal totally against moisture which will lead to corrosion. I did my wheels with etch, prime, silver and lacquer about 8-9 years ago and apart from where chips/scuffs have appeared, the finish is still spot on. If you can spray two pack with spray gun then do - harder and more durable than rattle cans.

Comment

How many layers of each would you put down and how about cure times?

would you sand back primer with 2000/2500 grade before paint or not?
          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I wouldnt bother sanding back with super fine grit wet and dry, that is a bit too keen for wheels in my book! If you really wanted bodywork finish on your wheels then go ahead but I think the lacquer would self level enough to make them look good. You also don't really want primer to be too glossy as that is not as good a surface for top coat to stick to, polish your lacquer for super flatness rather than primer.

As for how many coats, if you are spraying through a gun you get more paint out of the nozzle than an aerosol so I'd do no more than 2 coats from different angles to make sure you cover all sides of the wheel spokes, if using aerosol, I'd probably do 3 lacquer coats to make a deep gloss and enough silver coats to make sure all your primer is covered!

Comment

Thanks

1 coat of acid etch and grey primer is sufficient? Just trying to get an idea of how much to buy of each to do 4 16 inch Fuchs.
              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

1 each for etch and prime. Once the etch has covered the alloy, another coat won't etch any more. Focus on building up 2-3 coats of colour and lacquer.

Comment

Awesome, thank for your input mate
                  '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

800 is as fine as you should go between coats too , anything finer and it doesn't provide a key for the paint. 600 is probably sufficient....

Comment

Thanks. I'll test it on my spare wheel see what works best
                      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Suggestions on brand to use guys? Looking at Upol Acid 8 etch primer (1 can), Upol etch grey primer (2 cans) , Upol Alloy wheel silver paint (6 cans) and Upol clear #1 UV resistant lacquer (2 cans)?
                        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Upol is quality stuff.... depending how good your surfaces are, you may benefit with 1 can of #5 high build primer...

Comment

I had a look and it doesn't work out any more expensive than Halfords stuff on trade so I'll go for that.

They're stripped off all the old paint and I'll sand them back with 600/800 grit. Want to finish polishing lips before painting.
                            '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Thanks guys for your help choosing the right products and process. I think it came out quite nice and hopefully it'll last
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.
                              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Working...
                              X