Filling the cracks/gaps in tail lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling the cracks/gaps in tail lights

I'm curretly in the process of repairing my cracked tail lights. I'm looking for some advise for the stuff to use to fill the cracks/gaps. I already tried Bison 5min epoxy glue inspired by some youtube videos but that stuff won't stick to material that is used on the lights. Does anyone know a proper glue/filler to use?

For hairline cracks, a few drops of MEK using a syringe will fill them by capillary action, it will melt the plastic and re-seal them
    You can then polish out any overspill with plastic-RX or similar

Also, a pot of model clear red paint comes in handy when touching up, you can build it up and sand out
    1989 NG Q Pick-up (Daily)
    2002 ASZ Golf (Doris' Daily)
    1997 AJK-G2 A6 Avant Q (In surgery)
    1999 AGZ Bora (Daily 2)
    1994 ABC A6 Avant (Spare)
    1984 JS Coupe GT (Slow progress)
    1982 WN Coupe GT5 (Spare)
    1983 MK1 Golf GTI Pirelli (In storage)

Comment

Thanks for the tip My problem is the larger gaps. One piece had fallen completely off and it's now glued back together. Only thing is that is not a perfect fit and the gaps need to be filled.

Comment

If you happen to have access to chloroform, that also melts certain plastics (mainly from the acrylic family) and is watery consistency to run into cracks.

I know this from a previous job where acrylic fabrication work was part of the business rather than a more medical use

Comment

I think those substances are not available to me

Comment

Haven't tried but think you could melt same color tail light plastic to MEK and use that goo to repair those bigger caps?
            -93 Audi S2 Coupe ABY
            -74 VW Type 1 1300 (2110cc)
            -97 VW Golf VR6 Syncro as a daily driver
            https://www.lokoverkkaritalli.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips, MEK seems to be available here, so I'll give it a shot

Comment

Please share the methods and results after you have tested it. My back lights are also seen their better days and someone has used glue trying to repair those..

If that MEK thingy works it would be cheap fix

I was thinking that I could try windscreen repair "glue" as it cures with uv light and definitely would go to cracks..
                -93 Audi S2 Coupe ABY

Comment

Tried this today. The plastic of the taillights does not melt to MEK, thinner or acetone. Xylene is the only solvent that I have not tried yet. If that doesn't work I have to come up with new ideas to fix the lights.

Comment

Tried that windscreen repair fluid and worked perfect to small cracks. And posted a video from that to my YouTube channel. Repaired the other new used lights small cracks also with same way and those turned just fine. Dunno how it will last but think this is the best way to try to fix those....

Antsa they use that same resin to do the gel nails. So you could try to get that resin in gel form and color it to same color that your lights are. Maybe that way you would be able to fill those larger caps and even holes. It's rather quick to do as it cures in direct sun light ( uv light) in 20 minutes or so...

-93 Audi S2 Coupe ABY

Comment

Thanks for the tip I was thinking I might next try plastic primer followed by 2K clear coat for the larger gaps. Might even try to color the clear coat.

Comment

Hi Antsa I saw a Coupé in the scrapyard a few weeks ago. I don't think they would want very much for them. They are the same as my ABY S2. If you want I can grab them for you. Regards Lynn

Comment

Kind offer, but i think Antsa has got an Avant.
                          Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

Kind offer, but i think Antsa has got an Avant...
                            Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

Thanks Lynn for the kind offer Yes I do have an Avant with the rear light middle section that is from Audi 90 pn 893945225. I think coupe part is different

Comment

Working...
                              X