X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotten Exhaust Heat Shield

A lot of the exhaust heat shield on the avant is rotten:

rsz_2020-04-19_164120.jpg

So I need to replace it or do without it. I've read a few threads and opinion seems to be mixed. Other than the extra heat into the cabin is there anything else to be wary of if not replacing them? I'd guess any rubber parts such as the prop centre bearing would be at risk from the extra heat or is this nothing to worry about?

In the engine bay the insulation on the body around the turbo is also well past it's best. Was thinking of replacing this with some self adhesive aluminium tape/sheet. Or does anyone have any better ideas?
    Last edited by Colesy; 28 April 2020, 16:29.

This looks like it could be handformed to fit? https://funkmotorsport.com/product/t...iABEgIFAPD_BwE
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

For the downpipe I would get some wrap. I used the stuff Merlin Motorsport sell. It's worked fine so far and wasn't expensive.
      For the fixed heatshields, I would get the replacements Alex does. They will last forever and look great.
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

That aluminium embossed sheet seems good. It cuts and forms easily if you don't need to bend it in a compound curve, panel beating skills will flatten out the dimples.

Used it to replace the rotten heat shield over the rear exhaust section.

Use a hole punch to make fixing holes in it. BANG sorted.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
          This looks like it could be handformed to fit? https://funkmotorsport.com/product/t...iABEgIFAPD_BwE
          I've used something similar. It was cheaper and looks the same as this. I will check where I got if from. You can use tin snips to shape the outline and then massage it into corners using a hammer and block of wood.
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Cheers guys I've ordered some aluminium embossed sheet. Will post back with how I get on.

Comment

I think half mine as in need of a replacement, let us know how you go.
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

To make the shields around the exhaust under the car, I bought a sheet of embossed aluminium sheet from my local steel merchant. It was like £20 for a full 6x4 sheet and was super easy to work with. I still have half a sheet left!
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                X