Removing Bonded in glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Bonded in glass

Has anybody experience of removing the bonded in glass (front, rear screens and side windows) of an S2 Avant?

I am currently looking into getting my pink Avant re-sprayed.

In an attempt to keep the costs under control I am looking to strip and re-fitting the majority of the external fittings, glass included.

The front windscreen is a b*tch and best left to professionals IMO as it's one of the hardest windscreens to fit in any motor vehicle.

Comment

Lmao, sit with your legs on the dash and kick it out

Joke this is how to get one out of a Landrover
      Chef

Comment

Thanks - but I was sort of hoping to use it again afterwards.

Jamo,

Thanks - that was the advice from the bodyshop. Have had a quote and adding it up for each screen is getting expensive.

Was wondering if the side screens are easier?

Comment

Never done the side screens but i think they are easier. I watched someone try on a scrapped S2 to removed the screen and they ended up bashing it

Who is going to put the windscreen back in? ask if they've done one before IIRC from Rotoryboy Autowindscreen in coventry is a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
            The front windscreen is a b*tch and best left to professionals IMO as it's one of the hardest windscreens to fit in any motor vehicle.
            Its the coupe one that's really bad. The avant is the same as the standard Audi 80 front screen which I had changed on my Audi 80 Sport no probs.

I have never done it but believe you need to "pull" the side glass out etc with a lenght of strong wire or cord that feed behind the seal, may be a two man job...

Cheers,

Steve
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

boned in means cutting a pro job imo, not sure if you can re use the glass as it's got lots of bonding adhesive over it, the only experience i have with putting glass in was with the rear screen of urq, took 3 people to get it in with string and washing up liquid scary job that was.

Iain

Comment

to cut out a bonded windscreen u need 1 of these
                a cheesewire

and or
                a cold knife

insert the cheesewire through the glue of the screen and saw away but make sure you remove any interior trim it might touch because its very easy to saw a lump out of the pillars or the dash

or just insert the coldknife round the edge of screen and pull

once the screen is cut out remove all the old glue with a razor blade or scraper from both the screen and the body. once its all removed apply windscreen glue primer. and the screen is ready to go back in again.

you can buy it online from http://www.panther-pro.co.uk/
                or look up your local charles pugh or laddaw winscreen supplies

its probably worth going to a scrap yard 1st and having a sneaky play on a screen that isnt your own

HTH
                Nautic Blue UR-Quattro RS2spec ABY20v kkk26/27 hybrid,Bremsport Brake Kit n some other Gubbins.water injection. Mihnea tuned Management The old Bus
                0-60 4.9
                1/4mile 13.5

Comment

Good tips Baldy.
                  SS

Comment

I got a ''Professional'' to do my window, now i have rust bubbles along the top of the windscreen where he's scraped the paint and not touched it up before re-fitting the new screen. 2 years ago and they won't accept responsibility for the job as it only has a years warranty, funny that i'm sure that there work had a 5 year warranty. Gives me an excuse to respray the car. But still annoying!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X