Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Failure MOT

Hi all

My car has just failed its MOT because the Headlight is pretty much knacked, just wonder what headlights fit from other models.

Presume headlights from a standard coupe would fit don't think its different to a S2.

What about lights from a Audi 80 or 90. Just trying to make it cheap don't really want to be fooking out about £150 for 1 new headlight

Thanks

Ian
    1991 S2 3b, Samco Hoses, RS2 IC, 18'' RS6 Wheels, Forge Dump Valve, Scorpion Exhaust System, Decatted, MRC Remap

Why did it fail - beam alignment or what ?

If its alignment alone then you might need the adjusters renewed and aimed properly.

The headlights on S2 Coupe are no different from other Coupes & Cabrios AFAIK. Of course later Coupes and Cabrios have the ellipsoidal lights - guessing your 91 3B has older traditional lights.

Honestly cannot remember if lamps from 80 or 90 saloon/estates are identical or not - I strongly suspect they are as there is lots of commonality on the front.

No doubt the parts meisters will keep me right here !

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Cheers, I haven't been up to see the MOT guy yet he just told me it failed over the phone.

He said the beam isn't strong enough, he did try another bulb but it made no difference. When looking into the light it looks like the mirror reflective stuff at the back of the highlight (sorry not the most technical wording) has rusted away and the beam isn't being projected properly.

Think I might have a look up the scrapyard see what I can find.

Thanks

Ian
      1991 S2 3b, Samco Hoses, RS2 IC, 18'' RS6 Wheels, Forge Dump Valve, Scorpion Exhaust System, Decatted, MRC Remap

Comment

There should be a few 3B lights knocking around the forum as they're upgraded quite a bit.

Comment

Ian check your pm
          S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

Audi 90/coupe headlamps 87-91 (B3) are different. Coupe 92- will fit until they changed to ellipsiod. Audi 80 92- (B4) will fit as long as they are from a V6. 4cyl have the indicator next to the headlamps.

Comment

Heheh - you should know - you've stripped a few !
              Good info...
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Just been to the local scrapyard got a good one from a audi coupe for under £20 I'm just hoping its going to fit didn't check the year.

Chen if it is an old one will I still be able to fit it or is it completely different?

Going to try and fit it tonight don't really what to be paying for another MOT test.

Cheers Laser Avant S2 I'll get back to you.

Thanks

Ian

Comment

It will physically fit but won't look too pretty, for a start you won't be able to place the strip along the bottom. The sidelight is different as well, on your S2 it is on the corner of the lamp, on an earlier coupe its part of the main reflector and the corner is just reflector pressed up against the glass. You might also get issues with your bonnet going down into the light if you have got an earlier one. If you do get it to fit, despite it being completly wrong I don't know if it will be a MOT failure, because it is still represntive of the width of the car and still has a correct beam pattern. Lets hope you got the right one

Comment

Or if it is cack. Get it through the MOT then change for a decent one in your own time..

Good luck.

Cheers,

Steve.
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Ok I had a look and the headlight and it is the wrong type the connections on the back are not the same.

So I have had a look inside and the metal projector is practically the same I have actually swapped it over and placed it inside the failed headlight. The problem I have got is that I could only connect up one of the alignments for the headlight. the other one was in a different position.

I going to try and align it with the one and then see what happens in the MOT. The headlight from the outside looks perfect I just need to align it right.

As the headlight is being changed for the MOT I'd presume that the alignment of the beam is also going to be tested as well. Hopefully not because it can't be adjusted easy.

Ian

Comment

Just brought a headlight, its far less hassle.

Thanks Laser Avant S2

Comment

No worries if we all help each other and the worlds a better place
                          S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

Originally posted by ian_jemo View Post
                            Just brought a headlight, its far less hassle.

Thanks Laser Avant S2
                            Laser had a spare 3B light?? Where'd he get one of those from Just saw this thread and thought, "hmmm too late sorry m8" glad it worked out in the end!
                            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Working...
                            X