Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy rockerpanel/sideskirt damage fix to Audi S2

Hi,

I finally ended up purchasing Audi S2 after few years of waiting. Price was decent and the car was deliver by an other party. When it finally arrived to destination at my town, I noticed that seller forgot to tell a little bit about something. Previous owner had tried to lift a car with lifter from wrong spots, and result is quite severe dents both sides and front and back, and looking from below, way worse that it looks from the side. Is there anything that can be done these? I asked local paintshop / blacksmith by sending pictures. Answer was that there might be need for robot to pull them straight. Any ideas or ways these could be fixed?

Thousand thanks in advance.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Few more photos.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Hi I had this problem on one side of my car, my friend pulled the dent back out no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mac2226 View Post
        Hi I had this problem on one side of my car, my friend pulled the dent back out no problem.
        Were the dents as deep as these and how did he do it?

Comment

Hi mate I would say close enough, Iā€™m not sure which method he used but he removed the dent. I wish I would of took a picture before and after but I didnā€™t sorry. Iā€™ve seen YouTube videos where they use a machine which tak metal clips to body panels and they pull the dents out maybe this is how they did mine? I paid Ā£250 for both sides to be stone chipped and sprayed and removal of the dent Hope this gives you idea how much it cost roughly maybe your body shop is cheaper or more expensive? All best Michael

Comment

That's quite a big dent.

I had much smaller and dealt with it by the above method of weld on tag, pull and then remove tag. Worked a treat but you will of course need to factor in refinishing the sills with underbody stone chip, paint etc. The sills are not that thick so do bend back put OK.

One thing I'd add though is that if the tags are welded on, it may displace / melt away the protective wax on the inside of the sill. Welding the tags on doesn't make it hot for very long but for the sake of pulling the end plug out and squirting some more wax in; at least you know its protected and it's no bad thing to top up the old stuff that's already in there anyway.

Comment

Use a sliding hammer with a self tapper screw on the end - drill a couple of small holes screw it in slide it back job done , weld holes up and stonechip and paint

Comment

Is the reg nr on that car RDKxxx or RLGxxx?
                Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more picĀ“s of my cars

Comment

Originally posted by mac2226 View Post
                  Hi mate I would say close enough, Iā€™m not sure which method he used but he removed the dent. I wish I would of took a picture before and after but I didnā€™t sorry. Iā€™ve seen YouTube videos where they use a machine which tak metal clips to body panels and they pull the dents out maybe this is how they did mine? I paid Ā£250 for both sides to be stone chipped and sprayed and removal of the dent Hope this gives you idea how much it cost roughly maybe your body shop is cheaper or more expensive? All best Michael
                  Thanks for the info. That does not seem too bad. So far the body shops have suggested replacing the whole panels which Im not too interested to do. Have to keep searching for shop with this machine.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                    That's quite a big dent.

I had much smaller and dealt with it by the above method of weld on tag, pull and then remove tag. Worked a treat but you will of course need to factor in refinishing the sills with underbody stone chip, paint etc. The sills are not that thick so do bend back put OK.

One thing I'd add though is that if the tags are welded on, it may displace / melt away the protective wax on the inside of the sill. Welding the tags on doesn't make it hot for very long but for the sake of pulling the end plug out and squirting some more wax in; at least you know its protected and it's no bad thing to top up the old stuff that's already in there anyway.
                    Thanks for the information. Was this done in bench at proper body shop, or is it possible to perform this by myself manually?

Comment

Originally posted by fish View Post
                      Is the reg nr on that car RDKxxx or RLGxxx?
                      No, its EZXXXX. Does it look familiar?

Comment

Using the idea of drilling a hole and putting self tapping screw in also works but be prepared to put a quite a few screws in so you can pull the dent in several places. Don't try and pull it all out using one screw in the middle - that won't work too well. It needs to be eased out bit by bit across the length of the dent.

I've done that on a small dent where that car fell of the jack once.

Small holes are easy to fill with a bit of weld but there is likely a bit more clean up with this method than finding a garage who can use the kit which spot welds tags on.

The tags snap off fairly cleanly and you KNOW there is no hole in your sill if the welding up of the drilled holes misses a bit.

Maybe find a garage with the kit first but give the DIY option a go knowing you have a back up plan if it doesn't work as well as you want?
                        Last edited by steve briance; 22 July 2020, 12:19.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                          Using the idea of drilling a hole and putting self tapping screw in also works but be prepared to put a quite a few screws in so you can pull the dent in several places. Don't try and pull it all out using one screw in the middle - that won't work too well. It needs to be eased out bit by bit across the length of the dent.

I've done that on a small dent where that car fell of the jack once.

Small holes are easy to fill with a bit of weld but there is likely a bit more clean up with this method than finding a garage who can use the kit which spot welds tags on.

The tags snap off fairly cleanly and you KNOW there is no hole in your sill if the welding up of the drilled holes misses a bit.

Maybe find a garage with the kit first but give the DIY option a go knowing you have a back up plan if it doesn't work as well as you want?
                          Thank you very much. I will go with this plan. I think I'll first try to find garage with kit. This is also due the fact that my own garage is fairly small for this job. If shops in my town aren't willing to take a job, I'll try by myself. I'll take a few photos along to repair so we see how it turns out.

Comment

just give it to a body shop and they will pull them out. not that big cost as doing yourself. did mine 2 weeks ago . just dont drill holes

Comment

Originally posted by Jr402 View Post

No, its EZXXXX. Does it look familiar?
                              Not really. Me and my friend both had emerald green S2 avants many years ago, just wondering it it was one of them As for your dents. Either buy a slide hammer from biltema (glidhammare) and make your own clamping tool for it and use tabs as suggested, or i would actualy try a PDR tool that uses glue to pull them out. No way i would be drilling loads of holes to pull it out. I would rather just weld the end of the slide hammer to it and just keep repeating that than drill holes.
                              Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more picĀ“s of my cars

Comment

Working...
                              X