X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre MOT check woes

Alright chaps,

How's it going?

So today I thought I'd have a nice easy day checking all the bulbs etc on the S2 in preparation for an MOT.

All going swimmingly until I tried to remove the rear number plate light cover.

The stainless screws were already slightly rounded so I was unable until to remove with a screw driver. In the end I had to drill the heads off thinking I'd be able to get a decent grip with vice grips on the remainder of the screw, however there's not much space to get the vice grips on, I've given it a bash but the screws are not for turning, aaargh!!!

My question is are these fancy type screws as it looks like they screw into a metal kind of sleeve. I assumed they were just self tappers so would have thought they screwed directly into the plastic moulding. Either way they're both stuck solid and attempting to drill out or remove further is most likely going to result in damage in that general area.

For now I've popped the cover back on and held in place with some silicone squished into the recess where the screw head were. Not how I like to resolve issues but I don't want to damage anything so close to getting an MOT!!

Anyone else have issues with these bloody screws?

Cheers

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I feel your pain. Just about everything you try to remove on an old S2 can be an unexpected challenge. I had the same issue years ago and I seem to remember having to buy a new bulb holder and drill out one of the screws.
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Remove the rear light panel and get it on a bench? Would you then be able to better access what is left of the screws? Could you dremel a slot in what remains and turn them?

Not easy - granted.

Good luck
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Slim long nosed locking pliers might give you the access you need to extract the screws.
          As Steve says, removing the panel would make it easier to work with. Then again you might find that the screws holding the boot sill trim have rotted out and you'll have another challenge to contend with (hopefully not though).

Comment

Always a nightmare these cars or a ‘5 minute job’ and rapidly turn into a blood pressure testing event i would give it a good squirt of penetrating spray then try again after a coffee! Failing that get it off the car, though it looks like it should be possible to get something on what is left. Good luck
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Morning guys.

Cheers for the input, yeh I agree taking off the complete panel and working on it at a good position would be far better than the posture I was adopting yesterday. I already tried long nose vice grips but they just flex too much. I managed to get my smallest vice grips clamped on good but with the 1/8 of a turn available the right hand side screw was still was not turning. A dremmel is a good call, maybe with a worn down disc I'd have enough space to get in.

What I'm trying to figure out is are the bulb cover screws secured into a sleeve as the bulb holder screw secures directly into the moulding which made it easy to remove. I don't see why a sleeve would be fitted to these screws but it certainly looks like something is there??

There's a few old coupes lying around local, I might go and see if I can remove the complete panel to have as a spare incase this job takes a turn for the worse!!

It's annoying how such a simple job has grown arms and legs!!!!

Comment

I *think* there is a brass insert for the machine screws to go into.

Comment

I believe you are correct there. Brass insert in the plastic. Go steady if you drill it out as you might end up with nothing left of it. I've used small metric knurled brass inserts for this type of job. Epoxy them in and you are good to go. I might have some M4/M5 ones left if you end up needing them.
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

That's right, the brass inserts can be seen from the top side of the panel. They are inserted from the top.

Comment

A collective mountain of knowledge guys, cheers for clarifying that! I best go easy with the drilling workscope then!

The silicone bodge job is holding strong, it will have to do for now until I get a chance to revist this. At least I'm going into the job a bit more informed now. As always, thanks for the prompt responses gents!

Comment

Working...
                      X