Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting RS2 Headlights - Tricks/Tips

Hey guys,

I wanted to appeal to the brain trust here and see what the consensus is for installing OEM RS2 lamps in the CQ. I recently installed one of the expensive mounting tab retro-kits--which are great btw--and now I am pulling my hair out trying to get the units mounting correctly back on the car.

Is it just me or are these things insanely difficult to get situated into the space without scratching either the lower valence or wing? I got the right side in pretty quickly but the left side took foreverrrr. What tricks have people come up with? It would amaze me if any of these lamps still have the top mounting tabs intact.

The second question is, once they are sitting safely in the mounting pocket, is there an order to tighten down the mounting screws? The issue I am having is that when I align the outermost part of the lamp to the wing--ensuring that the rubber seal is nice and flush--I then tighten down the top two mounting screws first and then the under-lamp screws second, the lower trim piece no longer has the correct gap al the way across. Also, what is the deal with the lower mounting tabs? Is there any functional reason for the metal washer/tab that sits on top of the black plastic spacer? Am I over analyzing this and these should just be 'snug tight'?

I've tried several permutations of the above steps and can never get it as precise as I would like; both with the seal rubber flush/tight with the wing and correct lower trim gap.

If I'm struggleing to fit the the headlamps, I pop the indicators and fogs out so I can loosen the front bumper and let it drop, then position the lights as tidily as you can, do up the two long bottom screws first as they take all the weight of the light then fasten the tops to suit the bonnet.

Fit the trims then lift the bumper back up and fasten it in the best location you can get to suit the trims/fenders.

It's very much a case of splitting the difference in between the various gaps and lines.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Working...
    X