Identifying OEM hood vs. aftermarket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying OEM hood vs. aftermarket

I'm looking at buying a used B4 hood to convert my Coupe quattro, but I cannot affirm that it is an OEM Audi hood. Does the factory hood have any markings or is there any way to confirm that it is not an aftermarket, inferior, part?
    Kenneth
    1990 Coupe quattro
    1991 200q20v x 2
    1985 4ksq 20vt project
    1986 Coupe GT 10vt project
    2006 Honda Ridgeline
    1998 Honda VFR800FI

The aftermarket hood is flimsier than the OEM. One of the tell-tale signs of an aftermarket is how the edge of the hood looks where is meets the fender. The OEM is very smooth and seamless. On the aftermarket you can see the seam between the hood skin and the hood reinforcing. You can also see the tack welds. Hope that helps!
    Ben
    Calgary, Alberta
    Canada
    1991 CQ e//S2 w/ RS2 spec 3B 20vt
    Panther Black Metallic
    www.moda-architecture.ca

Comment

Originally posted by archiboy24 View Post
      The aftermarket hood is flimsier than the OEM. One of the tell-tale signs of an aftermarket is how the edge of the hood looks where is meets the fender. The OEM is very smooth and seamless. On the aftermarket you can see the seam between the hood skin and the hood reinforcing. You can also see the tack welds. Hope that helps!
      Thanks Ben. I'm relying on the distant seller to be able to determine what the origin of the hood is. It has been repainted once and he's not the original owner. I told him that an aftermarket one is lighter and thinner and he said the hood is reasonably heavy. However, this is all subjective compared to a part number or VAG stamping which I was hoping to be able to refer him to.

It's cross country and the price is higher than I can get an aftermarket one locally, so I am trying not to spend more money and incur more shipping risk than I need to.

I'll see if those tips will help out. Thanks again.
      Kenneth
      1990 Coupe quattro
      1991 200q20v x 2
      1985 4ksq 20vt project
      1986 Coupe GT 10vt project
      2006 Honda Ridgeline
      1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

Working...
      X