Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badger!

Managed to run over a badger last night!:eek2:
    Luckily for me I wasn't the first to do it. It was already dead and lying in the middle of the road. Had no time to avoid it and only just managed to straddle it.

So, my undertray is now in the back of the car.

Are there any implications of running with no undertray? I wouldn't have thought so, as long as I don't sump it! Can I get my car up on a ramp at Greg's so that I can have a good look underneath. I've already spotted tufts of fur sticking to the exhaust, but that'll burn off in no time.

I just want to be sure that I've not done any lasting damage. All I could think was thank god I hadn't lowered the car or else I'd probably be in the market for a new front bumper!
    ex '93 Avant owner

Should be no immediate issues - infact mine has never had an undertray in the time i've had it. I hit a deer that was laying in the road already a couple of years back and it made an awful mess along the underside of the car thankfully it hadn't been lowered at that point ops:
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Hi Sid,

Sorry to hear about you mishap,

I ran over a badger a couple of years ago. It ran out from a hedge whilst I was going down a dark country lane. Poor thing. I don'tfeel that it would have caused any mechanical demage, just cosmetic.

A friend had a fox through his radiator on his Rover SD1 Vitessse on the M61 at about 120mph at 2 in the morning many years ago.

I wonder what the last thing to go through the foxes mind was ?? ( sorry old joke)

Any way I have run my Audi without an undertray for 15K miles with no ill effect (20v 7A engine) I suppose they are there for ground effect reasons or EEC safety regulations.

There were a couple for sale on the forum a week ago.

David

Comment

David, did it taste OK?

Comment

In my first car, a Nova SR (S-uper R-espect) i hit a badger at 70mph just as i hit the dip on the start of the hill, the car almost bottomed out just as i hit the badger and the little b*stard smashed my front bumper and skirt (ooo-err), i lost my number plate, had blood splattered up the front, across the bonnet and windscreen and guts hangin off the exhaust which within 5 miles were well done and stank to high heaven. The remains of the badger were in 3 pieces on the road, its head didnt look too happy:mad:
          Graham
          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

In 1999 I was going through Death Valley ( M62 Irwell Valley North of Manchester) I was blagging along in my Minor 90ish (MPH not Furlongs per fortnight!)

A pheasant flew right across the motorway, It hit my nearside screen piller and exploded in a cloud of blood and feathers. It was then tossed onto the bonnet and up the windscreen of a following Wolsley 4/40 ( big old 50's car). The elderley driver of this highly polished car flashed his lights at me and shook his wrinkled fist at me.

It wasn't my fault. The Pheasant didn't indicate!

Sarah was driving through the Savarnake forest and hit and killed a deer, which damaged her car, she was in a loan car going to collect her repaired car when she hit another deer which wrote off the loan car and still managed to run off .

What is worse she is a Vegetarian

David

Comment

You want to get a big lorry like mine- no problems with badgers, deers or any other such 'pests' on the road!
              Mind you, you wouldnt really feel a person go under them either!!
              Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

What is this - 'Car Wars' !

ON that note I'll sign off for the night...
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Beetie
                  You want to get a big lorry like mine- no problems with badgers, deers or any other such 'pests' on the road!
                  Mind you, you wouldnt really feel a person go under them either!!
                  Beetie, How about traffic wardens, do they leave much of a mess?

David

Comment

Not sure, but im just about to leave for france for the next week- Frog crushing here we go!!!
                    Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Have hit a Staff Bull Terrier, lost my front licence plate, those dogs are well muscled, it felt like I'd hit a log through the wheel. Damn thing ran across the A2, God knows where from. :mad:

As for the engine undertray, it won't protect your sump if you ground it, it was designed for aerodynamic purposes. According to Audi, the car went X mph faster with it, as the underside was much smoother. It also has a secondary function, to suppress noise, especially on a diesel (they have great lumps of sound deadener attached to the inside).

The third function (not desirable to us performance junkies ) is heat increase in the engine bay. Mine is still in my garage, engine runs a lot cooler with it removed, especially in the summer, which can only be a good thing.
                      HTH

Siena

Comment

Re: Badger!

So, my undertray is now in the back of the car.

Are there any implications of running with no undertray? I wouldn't have thought so, as long as I don't sump it! Can I get my car up on a ramp at Greg's so that I can have a good look underneath. I've already spotted tufts of fur sticking to the exhaust, but that'll burn off in no time.

Back to the original thread. On the S list several persons ran a test with and without under tray. Tests showed 30 to 40 degrees F lower underhood tempertures with the tray on vs. the tray removed.

Greg
                        They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Mine didn't have the belly pan when I bought it. Nor did it have any of the airbox guides, radiator air guides etc. The needle was always 1-2 bars above 90.

Once they were all replaced and the belly pan fitted the needle sits one bar below 90.

Having no belly pan will help when your stationary but when your moving it helps scoop the hot air out from the engine bay.

Ben
                          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

My under tray came off the same day that i did my cam belt. About 6 hours after i did it i was driving along and as i hit 130 MPH (not on the road of course) there was a loud bang, thought my engine had blown but it must have been the turbulance that ripped the belly pan off. Only noticed it when there was a scraping noise when i stopped, its not been back on since.

Chris
                            Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

Back on the animal theme, i was driving to the pub tonight and saw something white in the road. I stopped and reversed to look and it was an owl sitting on the white line in the middle of the road!

The owl was sitting next to it's mate which was totally flat on the road.

I picked up the owl and took it to the side of the road where it sat looking a bit fed up. A local chap came out and scraped the flat owl up with a shovel. It was then buried with full honours in the hedge!

I came back 3 hours later and the owl was still sitting there looking fed up!

Shame really as it was a fine looking Tawny owl.

As was commented on in the pub, "he was missing his flat mate"!

Not a badger though, mind you it's the first bird I've picked up in years!

David

Comment

Working...
                              X