Home Made Coupe Tow Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Made Coupe Tow Bar

Just thought some guys might be interetested in my home made Coupe tow bar.

I didnt fancy paying £200 for a Watling fixed towbar so decided I would knock up my own removable one. Very descrete (especially when I have removed the white logo on the rubber cover!)

I still need to make the tow ball attachement which slides into the tow bar, and will post some pics up when thats done.

The bumper will be coming off again to finish the wiring and finish painting, so if anyone needs any dims just shout.

Anyway, here are some pics...(excuse the grot under my car - thats the next job)

'93 S2 Coupe

Nice install mate, very discreet, doesn't look like a "marital aid" like some do.

Although, if you ever have an accident while towing they will throw the book at you.
    UrS6 - Homefry, Bailey DV, PiperX filter, Samco hoses, H&R springs, 3" D/P back zorst, 270bhp and 260ftlb :rock:

Triumph Daytona 955i - mmmmmm :fire:

80 dag dag :driving:

Comment

it was fitted when I bought the car.

Anyway, we dont drive a type approved car, so we dont need a type approved tow bar - is that right? Only cars after 1998 need properly tested and approved tow bars.

From the witter site ...If I have an accident whilst towing on the Continent using a non EC Approved Towbar will I be liable to prosecution for not having an EC Approved towbar? NO. Provided the vehicle is registered in the UK before the 1st August 1998. However, if the towbar is considered to have contributed to causing the accident for reasons of inadequacy e.g. a poor quality 'home made' unit, or obviously incorrectly installed, then naturally prosecution may be a possibility. Always fit a good quality product.
      '93 S2 Coupe

Comment

What are you planning to tow with it? If you’re going to pull around a car&trailer or boat i would be a little dubious. My dad did competition for years and it wasn’t uncommon for people to lose their trailer/car on the way to event due to failing tow bars. Bolt on / removable ball was a no no, always fit a rigid fixed ball if pulling heavy loads.

He had a 90 Quattro at the time which was an amazing car for towing, you could forget the trailer was there sometimes
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Yeah, I was warned about the removable route does have weight limitations. I will just be pulling a small light trailer, with some of my kite gear in (a little 3 wheeled buggy, kite board and a couple of kites). No weight at all, jut too big to get in the car.

I have made sure that all the mounting points are as secure and possible, with 5mm doubling plates wherever I have drilled the body work. Going by some pics of Watling tow bars this should be much better than the 'mudflap' washers they use!
          '93 S2 Coupe

Comment

[QUOTE=waad_uk;242027]I will just be pulling a small light trailer, with some of my kite gear in (a little 3 wheeled buggy, kite board and a couple of kites). [QUOTE]

Gimme a go.
            UrS6 - Homefry, Bailey DV, PiperX filter, Samco hoses, H&R springs, 3" D/P back zorst, 270bhp and 260ftlb :rock:

Comment

Ok....if you pay for my flight!
              '93 S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by waad_uk View Post
                Ok....if you pay for my flight!
                I'll hold you to that seeing as I get back home next Tuesday.

Comment

Damn, I will have to unpack again now
                  '93 S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                  X