Removing front bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing front bumper

Ive found loads of threads about this, but nothing in detail or pics regarding which screws/nuts/bolts have to be removed from the arch.

I can see 3 different ones that look like they all need to be removed, can anyone confirm it is all of them?
    I am praying its not #1 in my pic, as someone has rounded it off in the past
    If that one does have to come out, anyone got any ideas of how?
    I have tried some mole grips on the head, but they wont shift it.
    I dont have the option of welding a nut on the end or anything like that

All three need to be removed.
    Number one is a PITA, both mine sheared off
    Remaining ones are behind the front fog lights.
    2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
    1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

I guess #1 screws into the wing?
      If I pull carefully on the plastic just to the left of it, the screw moves away with it, so Im wondering if mine has sheared off too.
      I guess I could try to remove the bumper and see if it comes away, but Im on my own and dont fancy the other end of the screw scratching the paint on the wing as I remove the bumper!

Comment

Originally posted by dest View Post
        I guess #1 screws into the wing?
        It does, the wing has a tiny bracket. I'd enlist the help of an assistant if possible mate.
        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
        2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
        1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

bro, take a plain screw driver, a hammer (not too big, a normal one!). With the hammer hit the bolt with the screw driver (just where the circunference of the bolt ends).... when it starts to unbolt, take a small wrench and finish the job. I recomend you to buy a new bolt!!!

GOOOOOOODDDD.... I want the S2 front bumperrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and those ABY wheels
          - Looking for a S2
          - Lancia Dedra HF turbo i.e. (4sale)
          - Typ89 Coupè quattro, 20Vt AAN, VEMS, K24-7000@1.3bar (scrapped )

sigpic

Comment

Well ive got it off in the end, #1 screw on both sides were solid into whatever the round bit is they screw into.
            Both had come away from the wings due to rust.
            I am now trying to do the MarkH mod, and due to some totally crap design (I thought Audis were meant to be designed well?!) I cant get the bolts undone on the intercooler.
            Some idiot in their wisdom decided to put covers over the nuts, so you cant get a spanner on them.

Im still no nearer finding the boost leak or whatever problem it is

I hate this f***ing car already

Comment

Well ive got it off in the end, #1 screw on both sides were solid into whatever the round bit is they screw into.
              Both had come away from the wings due to rust.
              I am now trying to do the MarkH mod, and due to some totally crap design (I thought Audis were meant to be designed well?!) I cant get the bolts undone on the intercooler.
              Some idiot in their wisdom decided to put covers over the nuts, so you cant get a spanner on them.

Im still no nearer finding the boost leak or whatever problem it is

I hate this f***ing car already

Hmmm mine was allen head bolts on both ends, you got a picture of the covers?

Trust me once you get used to the car it will get easier and better , don't give up.

Comment

Ive already given up
                Ive just put it all back together.
                So after about 6 hours of messing about, all I have gained is a loose intercooler bolt that I cant do up or undo!

On the off side there were two 13mm bolts, which had 13mm square nuts on the inside.
                Each of these nuts had a "cover" over them, I guess so you didnt have to put a spanner on them, but soon as you put any pressure on the bolt, the "cover" which held the nut just opened up and allowed it to spin round.
                This was also the case on the near side, it had an allen head bolt on the bottom, then a square 13mm nut on the top, which was again held in by these stupid nut holders!

I cant ever see myself enjoying boost in this car as I simply cannot afford to pay someone a day of labour messing about trying to take the front off and then find the actual problem.

I wish I had never bought it now

Comment

Audi S2 - If it was easy, everybody would own one.
                  Welcome to the Forum
                  Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
                  England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

ffs you want some tissues!!.........sleep on it ...chin up ...not that bad just need a plan of actions do a bit of homework on the parts you are taking off and get some spare nuts and bolts if you need to start replacing them ...go back to it always easy the second time round and get one of your mates to come round and hold things for you

Cheers
                    93 S2 Avant Parting
                    91 URQ RR
                    02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Thanks for your kinds offer!
                      I am not upset, I am pissed off!
                      Since I got the car I have not been able to enjoy it properly, and am loosing my patience with it.
                      I had a perfectly good car that had been reliable and never let me down, so my short experience so far with an Audi has been a bad one!
                      Im sure I will love it once its running ok, but at the moment I am struggling to see how that is going to happen as my funds are limited

Comment

Thanks for your kinds offer!
                        I am not upset, I am pissed off!
                        Since I got the car I have not been able to enjoy it properly, and am loosing my patience with it.
                        I had a perfectly good car that had been reliable and never let me down, so my short experience so far with an Audi has been a bad one!
                        Im sure I will love it once its running ok, but at the moment I am struggling to see how that is going to happen as my funds are limited
                        Trust me, its worth keeping on going especially once its all running right.

Comment

Oh come on bro...U just need a little more of patience!!! Do it another day... maybe today is not the best day to do that job!!! I have to take out the whole dashboard of my COupe... I have a headache if I start thinking about it... A bro over the forum just told me that is a 10hours work. I don't really feel to do that these days but next week is a must to resolve the flooding problem I have...besides... I won't pay 200 euros to a mechanic if I can do it...those 200 could be for a turbo timer that I need! lol
                          - Looking for a S2

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 20vQC View Post
                            Oh come on bro...U just need a little more of patience!!! Do it another day... maybe today is not the best day to do that job!!! I have to take out the whole dashboard of my COupe... I have a headache if I start thinking about it... A bro over the forum just told me that is a 10hours work. I don't really feel to do that these days but next week is a must to resolve the flooding problem I have...besides... I won't pay 200 euros to a mechanic if I can do it...those 200 could be for a turbo timer that I need! lol
                            Tbh from what i've heard on these cars the turbo timers are not all that good, I had one I was going to fit to my s2 but on the advice from some people got rid of it. Tbh unless its a very good one set up right then they ain't worth the time especially with the s2 having the pump to pump water around to cool the turbo, you'd be better off fitting one of them.

Comment

wait...but why doesn't work fine the turbo timer on the S2??? it's very simple how it works... when you cut the current with the key between the +30 (positive from bat), to the +15 (all electronic stuff, coil, pumps,etc), the turbo timer cuts it when the key is not inserted anymore. Sorry buddy but I don't get why doesn't work good on S2's! BUt I'd really like to know it... I don't wanna make a mistake installing that thing.

HEY!!!!! one Q! Talking about the electric water pump... my radiator fan keeps working for about 10-12min after turning off the engine... Doesn't mine have the electric w.pump (NM 20v)?? SHOOT! Where is exactly located that water pump on S2's??
                              - Looking for a S2

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X