just an idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just an idea

Was wondering would i be possible to have the lower rubber tims at the bottom of the doors wings ect, remolded out of fiberglass? I don't have the skills required to do so, but thought if some one did, it would be a good idea as would give a nicer finnish when colour coded. Just a thought?

I can see where you're coming from ....I'm lucky as my car is very dark anyway.

Not sure, but I think the pieces on the doors slam against the door surround? (Primarily the sill) ...I'd be concerned about the durability of a non-flexible part in that respect.
    Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

I had mine sprayed and its a right pita, i drove around for a few weeks with one side off and the noise is very bad!
      I think you would not get enough of a seal with molded parts and getting them on would be a pita.

Cheers James
      Chef

Comment

As mentioned here there are several problems....

with the trim pieces you have mentioned.
        1/ They have a finite life so they will have to be replaced eventually. And Audi has stopped meking them.
        2/ They do have a purpos as Terry Bullwon has mentioned, they act as an insulator and they have the flexibility to
        make sure the seal stays that way.
        But back to 1/....what happens when the supply runs out? There will have to be an alternative.

Comment

Good points didn't know or think about the seal/ insulation factor. Like i said just an idea (bad idea tho lol)

Comment

I suppose that are thinnish carbon piece with plenty of kevlar would be quite flexible ....but the sealing aspect would require some other rubberised finish on it, but that might be easier to achieve than moulding this part from a rubberised material?
            Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Alternatively try to find a way of removing the mild steel inner to replace with a stainless one ala no more bending!!!

Painting it should be no problem with the rigth sort of paint if profesionally done...
              Dark Grey Avant
              RS2 FARB
              Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
              Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Working...
              X