Hi-tec check for new body panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-tec check for new body panels

I had wondered if I my car had had a new drivers door fitted-under some light it looked a fractionally different shade of green, but step to one side & it looks fine, very difficult to be sure.

So, while mucking about with a digital camera (my other, other hobby) that has been modified to capture only infrared light, which makes photos like this:

So I took a picture of the offending area:

If you couldn't guess, all the body panels should appear the same (dark) colour. It could, of course, have been repainted.

If anyone is interested I could probably convert a camera for you-might have a use if you are a trader (and this sort of thing worries you?) Might be an untapped market? Anyone got the number for Dragon's Den?

Jonathan
    Specific power graph

Please tell us how you adapted you camera to accept IR, I'm intrigued by your tinkering.

Comment

One has to carefully smash it into little bits, remove the 'hot mirror' (right in front of the CCD-which stops infrared getting through) and replace it with an infrared filter (which only lets through infrared) Then put it back together. If the camera didn't come with the hot mirror, then colour photos would come out very red. You can alter most, but not all, digicams.

For the images to come out properly they have to be taken in black & white mode, with approx. +1 exposure compensation (to make the image brighter)

Digital IR is miles easier than trying to use IR film.

The camera I'm using is a Fuji Z1, very compact, 5mp.

Jonathan
      Specific power graph

Comment

Yeah that is quite cool, where abouts in wiltshire are you? i'm currently down by sunny swindun

Comment

Thats a funky thing... I have an old Sony Hi8 camcorder with IR mode... I might try that on a car or two.

Paul
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
            Yeah that is quite cool, where abouts in wiltshire are you? i'm currently down by sunny swindun
            Not so sunny Salisbury
            Specific power graph

Comment

That's what my apparently immaculate tornado red Golf looks like under Sodium street lamps. Very annoying.
              Nothing feels fast for long...
              sigpic

2000 Audi RS4 - Kingfisher Blue ~+~ 2004 Audi Allroad 2.5 Tdi - Ebony Black Pearl

Comment

Some Digi SLRs don't have the 'hot mirror'. So, just by screwing a IR filter to the front will work.
                I love IR photography, esp landscape and nature, but never thought about doing this.
                UrS6 - Homefry, Bailey DV, PiperX filter, Samco hoses, H&R springs, 3" D/P back zorst, 270bhp and 260ftlb :rock:

Triumph Daytona 955i - mmmmmm :fire:

80 dag dag :driving:

Comment

Working...
                X