RS2 Tow Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 Tow Bar

Has anyone fitted a removable tow bar to an RS2 before, and if so which one?

Some seem to require the bumper to be cut which I don't want to do for obvious reasons.

.......don't worry...its for a RIB not a caravan, feel I should mention this.

Any advise?

Simon

Hi Simon,
    I have one on my car, (for race cars on trailer)
    DO NOT get a Watling, thats the only after market made for the RS2. They are made from angle iron! Utter rubbish.
    They are still available at the stealers, £650 rings a bell.
    The oe one is made by westfalia, proper piece of engineering.
    Keep an eye on ebay.de

HTH
    Rob..
    94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
    87 UR 20v ABY
    97 S6 Avant
    96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
    1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

thanks for that.

So i take it that the one on your car is removable and hasn't had the bumper cut?

simon.

Comment

Yes it is removable, very small half moon had to be removed to clear the part that connects. We are talking small.
        No nuts and bolts to fit or remove just a sliding sprung shaft. As I said proper engineering!
        Rob..
        87 UR 20v ABY
        97 S6 Avant

Comment

Oh- im looking for one to, but havent found it yet. Maybe contact Westfalia direct.
          Audi RS4+Long sportquattro
          www.hansenmotorsport.no

Comment

It seems that the Westfalia towbar is not listed in their catalogue (discontinued?) so I've contacted them direct in Germany. Wait and see.

Watling still make their one but its not removable, so therefore pointless.

Also getting a few comments form the various dealers saying that you shouldn't even be towing with an RS??? They have no idea what an RS2 is anyway so maybe they asume 4 or 6.

The Westfalia kit for the Quattro Avant is available however so why shouldn't that fit??

Anyone know?

Comment

Stealers know fuggall about the RS2... It had a factory-fitted option for the towing kit.

Another little known trick of the factory towing setup on the RS2 is that when you plug in the trailer, it informs the ECU that a trailer is attached and maximum boost is reduced as a result.
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Paul is/was there a factory fitted option for the S2 Coupe also? part# or supplier?
                Cheers mis amigos,
                _Anton

Comment

Originally posted by rs2coupe View Post
                  Paul is/was there a factory fitted option for the S2 Coupe also? part# or supplier?
                  Yes, thats what I started off with when I made mine!

I now have a genuine Avant one as well!
                  Rob..
                  87 UR 20v ABY
                  97 S6 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
                    Yes, thats what I started off with when I made mine!

I now have a genuine Avant one as well!

Aww you teasin

c'mon you're my go to guy, got one for me?
                    Cheers mis amigos,
                    _Anton

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
                      Hi Simon,
                      I have one on my car, (for race cars on trailer)
                      DO NOT get a Watling, thats the only after market made for the RS2. They are made from angle iron! Utter rubbish.
                      They are still available at the stealers, £650 rings a bell.
                      The oe one is made by westfalia, proper piece of engineering.
                      Keep an eye on ebay.de

HTH
                      Hi Rob.

I see and respect your strong views on the Watling option. You clearly had the chance to compare both OEM and Watling together. As it happens, (just to offer an alternative opinion) I've got a Watling removable tow bar on my car.

From two years of use, I think that they are good and do the job well enough. Probably at a fair price too, although I am guessing as this was fitted to my car when I bought it. It's made from box section steel tubing, maybe 50 x 50 mm, with two threaded bolt holes to secure the bar when in place.

The only thing I would add is that it's worth getting it powder coated as the paint on their item doesn't last. Other than than it's just the job. Two bolts to remove before drawing out the tow bar, off the car.

I'm sure it's quite possible to engineer a more elegant, better looking solution, faster, needing no tools to remove. Although one would have to compare prices and fitting costs to take an objective view on which is best for your pocket.

This one does the job for me - just get it powder coated!
                      RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Originally posted by rs2coupe View Post
                        There must have been - and on S2 sedan / avant as well... I can find reference to wiring for it in the family album - but no mechanical parts or option codes I can find yet.
                        Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

It was option 'P 1D2' on the RS2.

I've found reference to same 'P 1D2' as optional detachable towbar on B3 Coupe and the B4 Avant/Sedan and also a non-detachable one 'P 1D1'
                          Paul Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                            There must have been - and on S2 sedan / avant as well... I can find reference to wiring for it in the family album - but no mechanical parts or option codes I can find yet.

Yea I think so too. Here is a pic from tots. Fingers crossed if you find something.
                            Attached Files
                            Cheers mis amigos,
                            _Anton

Comment

So in an attempt to actually get a tow bar for the car.......I'm thinking of buying the removable swan neck kit from westfalia. However its made for the Quattro Avant and not the RS2....but surely it will fit!!??? its the same car right?

Can anyone post a pic of the underside rear of an S2 Avant or Quattro Avant so I can compare, I feel this is the only way of confirming.

anyone agree or disagree?.?.

Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X