Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 front bumper on S2 - bottom shield

Hi,
    For those of you who have replaced your front S2 bumper with a RS2 front bumper, were you able to retain the original lower shield? Or did you replace the lower shield also?

Just wondering because I know the RS2 IC is larger than the S2 IC and just wondered if the RS2 IC fits with the S2 bumper and lower shield on.

thank you,
    Greg
    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

The undertray? I got rid of the S2 one and not bothereing having one. (I have an RS2 numper)

The RS2 IC fits behind the S2 bumper - a very small cut of the oil cooler ducting is needed to fit the RS2 IC in.
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
      The undertray? I got rid of the S2 one and not bothereing having one. (I have an RS2 numper)

The RS2 IC fits behind the S2 bumper - a very small cut of the oil cooler ducting is needed to fit the RS2 IC in.
      Thanks Doug,
      Did you know they ran a test on the S-list about undertrays? Showed a 30 to 40 degree reduction in underhood temps when the tray was on vs when tray was off.

That was the reason I was wondering if S2 tray still works with the OEM RS2 bumper.

Anyone else?

Greg
      They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by 90quattrocoupe
        Thanks Doug,
        Did you know they ran a test on the S-list about undertrays? Showed a 30 to 40 degree reduction in underhood temps when the tray was on vs when tray was off.
        I didn't know that - can you post a link to the test? I think it would be a pita to mod the S2 one to fit an RS2 bumper - it would be easier to find an rs2 undertray and fit that.

Comment

RS2 bumper & CQ undertray....

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
          I didn't know that - can you post a link to the test? I think it would be a pita to mod the S2 one to fit an RS2 bumper - it would be easier to find an rs2 undertray and fit that.
          Doug: I didn't have to mod my CQ undertray other than to drill a couple of holes
          for the mounting screws up front.

Comment

Mmm - i just got rid of the 2 S2 undertrays I had.

They were a pita to remove everytime I wanted underneath.

I've still to be convinced they make a difference though.

Comment

Mine fell off when I hit a badger and I've not replaced it.

No side effects and if anything, the car runs cooler - especially through town.
              ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

I'm also unconvinced of the benefit of an undertray, aside from protecting from road crud. I'll put it back on and see what happens, but I expect no running temperature change.
                'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

I think I am right in saying that Audi spent a lot of money developing those undertray to reduce the aerodynamic drag caused by the underside of the engine bay. You tuning boys could be losing 1 - 2mph of top end without them you know....

Cheers,

Steve.
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

ETKA calls it a noise deflector, so I doubt it has anything to do with aerodynamics.

I might be wrong, but they could have picked a better place to try and smooth things out than there. My Avant isn't exactly a cruise missile, although I try hard to convince people that it is.
                    ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

AFAIK the belly pan is designed to help channel hot air out of the back of the engine bay (as well as reducing engine noise).

Mine definately runs cooler with it in place.

Ben
                      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Would'nt it be true that the undertray would become efficient on a run,rather than during towny driving?
                        Rob W
                        04 Audi S4 Avant
                        55 Merc 220cdi c class estate Family hack.
                        92 Audi S2 3b Sadly gone.
                        1969 mustang fastback 302. Dry storage

Comment

Originally posted by sidspud
                          Mine fell off when I hit a badger and I've not replaced it.

No side effects and if anything, the car runs cooler - especially through town.
                          Sid, the badger had the side effects.

Seriously though the undertray was fitted for a purpose other than to catch the oil dripping from the rocker cover gasket. it is probably all a bit marginal though.

David

Comment

I fitted the undertray back after changing to the RS2 front bumper. A row of screws along the front to fit it tightly. I am sure that it improves airflow under the car as well as thermal management from the engine bay on the open road. I still use mine as I tend to go off road a bit when I go back to Wales and it does offer a bit of protection.

Doug, I don't think it takes that long to remove and fit the undertray. It can't even take 5 minutes including jacking up the car. You must be used to doing garage work for Shuey!

Mine only comes off about 4 or 5 times a year and I will definaely continue to use mine. I think it is a shame there isn't something similar at the back under the rear suspension and over the propshaft/gearbox to smooth the airflow under the car as this can be a significant contributor the drag of the vehicle. It gets very turbulent under there with all that crap dangling down.
                            1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                            Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                              I fitted the undertray back after changing to the RS2 front bumper. A row of screws along the front to fit it tightly. .

Are you saying the OEM RS2 bumper does not holes in the bottom of the bumper for the clips from the undertray to clip onto?

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X