Black Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Paint

It's been a while since I wanted to know why lot of parts from audi are painted black ? I believe it's somekind of rust protection. But why intercooler is painted that way ?? As far as I know is't made from aluminium that's quite rust friendly.

I just like the way thouse intercoolers look on EVO7's through the front bumpers.

Maybe it can be repainted in original silver color ???? If yes , will it affects termo exchange ?

Thanks.
    Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

the reason intercoolers are painted matt black is to help them transfer heat more efficiently.

They all look very nice with the silver finish etc, but a polished surface like that reflects heat more where as a matt black surface has a larger surface area, and if is black can transfer heat more efficiently.

Greg
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Yep Greg is right.

Matt black is the best colour for absorbing heat and also the best for emitting heat. So I guess if you want an intercooler to cool air then it should be matt black on the inside (to absorb as much heat from the air as possible) and matt balck on the outside to radiate as much of that heat away to atmosphere.

Thing is if it is matt black on the outside it will also absorb lots of heat from the surrounding air :wacked:

Isn't science brilliant...............

Leigh
      Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

1)Hm. How can black radiate(emmiting) something more that white/rad/purple ?

yes I do undestand that black absorb much more that white.

2)But black from outside must get more heat from SUN or any other heat source.

So it should be black from inside and white or silver from outside.
        Need to get more teh. literature

And yep I agree that matt have larger area then polished.

3)So it must be , black from inside , silver matt from outside .

Why all other monufacturers don't paint their intercoolers black ???? I mean Ford WRC , SUBARU WRX , Mitsubishi EVO ????

P.S. I suppose (i'm looking into intercooler right now) it silver from inside and matt black from outside.

P.S.S Why Audi Engineers decided to change from black to silver on all newer RS ? 4,6.
        Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

I reckon the change to silver is purely a cosmetic thing. Everything is silver these days
          Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

just look at TV's and DVD players.
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Silver is purely for showing off! Matt black is the ideal. I got a friend to paint his ibiza 1.8t intercooler black and it made more power on the rollers about 5 bhp!! Not a lot but it all helps. Inlet temps dropped by a few degrees too.
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
              X