Replacement Windscreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Windscreen

What a mess! Had the screen changed by that well know automobile glass company. If I had known how bad a job it was going to be I would have carried on with old one with cracks! Perhaps I should have known better to leave them to it on a Friday afternoon. Where shall I start - screen offset to one side by nearly a cm, fitting to top roof seal does not look too good, trim at bottom of drivers side not fitted back properly so might leak water into fuse box area, side strips poorly fitted with gaping slot at top to allow water to run down to bonnet hinges (should these strips be sealed at the roof line?). Finally rearview mirror incorrectly fitted, offset so can't adjust to get full rear view.

I've had no time to take the car to the depot to get something done but when I do...............
    SteveBe

[QUOTE=SteveBe] trim at bottom of drivers side not fitted back properly so might leak water into fuse box area
    a: Not a problem

side strips poorly fitted with gaping slot at top to allow water to run down to bonnet hinges (should these strips be sealed at the roof line?).

a: I have sealed mine and it doesn't leak at all now

Finally rearview mirror incorrectly fitted, offset so can't adjust to get full rear view.

Take it back

I took the rubber door seal off and found that the aluminium trim they have to take off was held in place with 5 poorly placed pop rivets instead of 14!

The S2 screen is badly designed for replacement!

I used plenty of non setting mastic between the aluminium trim and the body as well as between the body coloured trim at the side of the screen and the screen itself.

It hasn't leaked yet!

Your average grunt has no interest in fitting a screen to a 10 year old car!

If you want a job doing right do it yourself, if you're capable. (apart from sensual massage!)

David

Comment

Autoglass by any chance... or as I prefer to call them… Autogash! I had a **** load of trouble with them recently when they replaced my windscreen. I won’t go into the full story as it’d take me ALL day to type it out. In brief, the windscreen had to be replaced 3 times, bonnet re-sprayed, part of the roof re-sprayed, new plastic windscreen pillars, new rubber inner door seals and new metal runners that go around the top of the side windows from the front of the car right to the back! Most of this work was done in the end by the local BMW dealers (my local Audi dealer doesn’t have a body shop). Total cost of over £1500!! …and no I didn’t pay. NEVER NEVER NEVER go to Autogash for your windscreen replaced – the simply aren’t capable of doing it correctly. Tossers

Mick

Originally posted by SteveBe
      What a mess! Had the screen changed by that well know automobile glass company. If I had known how bad a job it was going to be I would have carried on with old one with cracks! Perhaps I should have known better to leave them to it on a Friday afternoon. Where shall I start - screen offset to one side by nearly a cm, fitting to top roof seal does not look too good, trim at bottom of drivers side not fitted back properly so might leak water into fuse box area, side strips poorly fitted with gaping slot at top to allow water to run down to bonnet hinges (should these strips be sealed at the roof line?). Finally rearview mirror incorrectly fitted, offset so can't adjust to get full rear view.

I've had no time to take the car to the depot to get something done but when I do...............
      '94 S2 (RS2+ spec. Tarmac Rally Car)
      S2QuattroMotorsport

Comment

Which branch did you goto? Not had a problem with them myself. i think it probably depends on which one you goto
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

It was a branch in Manchester. They had at least 4 people have a go at it, every one of them was stupid (and I'm being kind when saying that!). There 'top man' got put on to it in the end... and he was the one who slipped with the drill while drilling out a rivet and dinged the underside of my roof… not once, but TWICE!!!!

Retards

After this episode, it really took the shine of the car for me... I almost got rid of it. However, now I've found the S2Forum, I've got my S2 enthusiasm back

Mick

Originally posted by Greg_S
          Which branch did you goto? Not had a problem with them myself. i think it probably depends on which one you goto
          S2QuattroMotorsport

Comment

Thats what i like to hear, has the cheque book been eaten by S2 mods now....?
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I fitted a RS2 grill last week, and the 'Home-Fried' ECU is 'in progress' . Brake upgrade and cat bypass pipes next I think.

Originally posted by Greg_S
              Thats what i like to hear, has the cheque book been eaten by S2 mods now....?
              S2QuattroMotorsport

Comment

Small known fact that aside from a Roller (Royce) The Audi Coupe is THE most difficult window installation. I have had 3 new front windscreens in mine during my ownership that hve been fitted correctly, but in total had 6 installed, the ones which came out never seemed to seat properly at the top left of the screen so you get really bad windrush.

I had to respray and blend the roof aftera poor fit (replacement before I bought the car) caused by some fitter being a bit aggressive removing the mastic and had skimmed the paint off the leading edge of the roofline which then rusted.

Also, make sure that th pillar trims are seated properly at the top of the a pillar as ther is a u shaped clip which ensures a flush fit - one of mine is broken so it sits a little bit high - must sort that one day

David
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

You think YOU got problems!!

The Audi Dealer network in the States don't even want to deal with putting a new front glass into a CQ! Much less even stock the glass at all in any of their nation wide parts depot. They try to dissauade you from even changing it. Even if there is a crack the width of the glass. If they are pushed to get one they charge you your first born and a left gonad to get it over from Europe. Don't even ask to have them install it, they subcontract it to a franchised autoglass installer who's so-called trained experts have never worked on Audis much less a CQ!! They even have the nerve to ask you to sign a release BEFORE they start working on your car. What a load of dung!!

Comment

A Friend of mine works at the depot in berks, he is the only bloke i trust to put a screen in ! he is brill at it, he also appreciates proper cars no matter what age.
                    (ie ours)
                    40% of the people that work at his place are rushed ! take no time and
                    "lash them in" (there words) they do get paid per job hence the speed and mistakes.

the one thing they always hate is people standing over them, watching there quality of work, but i am one of those types of people as it is my pride and joy.

if you have to call, watch carefully.

i remember a year or so ago a matey on rs246 needed a screen for his rs4 he went to autoglass who messed it right up, so he went to main dealer to get the job done properly (not allowing autoglass to touch his car again) he collected the car very happy with it done to his satisfaction to find out the same autoglass depot were contracted to do it at the dealer, autoglass did all glass work for that dealer.

be careful ! ask for an experienced fitter !

David
                    DAVIDP20V - 95' Polar Silver RS2 standard 315 bhp, forge diverter valve, Mark H mod and boost gauge..... and shes for sale.

Comment

I went to the depot in Edinburgh to get my mess rectified. The trim at the bottom of the screen has been fixed, mastic applied to the gaps at the roof line and the mirror has been twisted back to the right position. So I'm feeling happier now. After the horror stories from a few of you guys I decided not to get into having the screen pulled out and refitted! Next time I get anything like this done I will make sure I've got time to keeping checking what they are doing!
                      SteveBe

Comment

I'm due to get the windscreen replaced on my Avant, are they more straight forward? No Rivets?

Gulp I am dreading the end result now!

Comment

just make sure you take it for a test drive at 60mph plus before accepting any work as complete and look carefully for signs of dings and paint scrapes where thay haven't been to careful putting it back in...
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Avants are fine, they have standard fitting glass - not like the coupe airfix method...
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic
                            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                            X