Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing/replacing a rear Avant tail light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing/replacing a rear Avant tail light?

I have a replacement right hand side (washer bottle side) tail light that I want to replace my cracked light with.
    Do I have to take the boot wall off?
    If so how is this done?
    1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
    1995 Audi RS2

iirc just remove the neck of the washer bottle and then unclip the bulb holder then search out 4 6mm nuts and wiggle free as i seem to recall some sealant is involved...
    S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

Once you work out the angles needed you will be laughing. It is a total nightmare though! You will need an extension and preferably magnetic sockets, because if you drop a nut when replacing it you have to remove it again to be able to get the nut if it falls into the deep void!
      Best tip i can give is to do the inner bottom nut first. That is the hardest one to get on the bolt. You can hold the light with the top leaning outwards, this allows you to sort of see behind it and then guide the nut to the bolt without having to do it blind. Once the nut is started hold it on so the socket stays on the nut then put the light in place. Then do it up all the way. Once you take the socket off its very hard to find the nut again as its not on the angle you expect and you have to work blind! Do not try to rush it in 5 mins lol good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by dest View Post
        Once you work out the angles needed you will be laughing. It is a total nightmare though! You will need an extension and preferably magnetic sockets, because if you drop a nut when replacing it you have to remove it again to be able to get the nut if it falls into the deep void!
        Best tip i can give is to do the inner bottom nut first. That is the hardest one to get on the bolt. You can hold the light with the top leaning outwards, this allows you to sort of see behind it and then guide the nut to the bolt without having to do it blind. Once the nut is started hold it on so the socket stays on the nut then put the light in place. Then do it up all the way. Once you take the socket off its very hard to find the nut again as its not on the angle you expect and you have to work blind! Do not try to rush it in 5 mins lol good luck!
        Thanks
        I hope I can have a crack at it very soon.
        1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
        1995 Audi RS2

Comment

Working...
        X