bumper touch-up/respray advice wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bumper touch-up/respray advice wanted

I need to sort out a 40x10cm area on my front bumper where the top layer is cracked and the paint is peeling off. The rest of the bumper is in really good condition.

I've read that to have the bumper properly resprayed is going to cost £200+. Is there a DIY option here - i.e. just rub down and respray the affected area and try and blend it in, or do I need to bite the bullet, remove it from the car and get the whole thing done properly?

Be grateful for any advice.

Tom

Speak to Quattronutter

Comment

You won't do that DIY and make it good enough IMHO. Best bet would be to strip it all off yourself and find a trusted local painter to finish it for you and then put it back on yourself...

HTH

Cheers,

Steve.
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
        You won't do that DIY and make it good enough IMHO. Best bet would be to strip it all off yourself and find a trusted local painter to finish it for you and then put it back on yourself...

HTH

Cheers,

Steve.
        Cheers Steve. I suspected that might be the case but thought I'd check first!

Do you happen to know whether there's a special paint for the bumper, or is it just the same as the stuff that goes on the panels? Also, where's the best place to get OEM paint from? I've got a 1995 Volcano Black S6. At least I think it's Volcano Black Should probably look up the paint code..

Tom

Comment

Obviously you need to look up the paint code! This will be in the front of the service book at the top of the build sticker.

The paint is the same spec but the painter will put the correct amount of flex agent into the paint to allow it to bend with the bumper... ( I don't know the exact details).

You trusted painter will be able to supply the correct paint.

Cheers,

Steve.
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

my advice being a painter is if your going to just attempt it then leave it!! people make a lot more work than is usually needed, if the paint is cracking then it could be possible to just sand off the affected area, re-prime and blend into the origional paint (blacks are very good for fading away, silvers and colours with a high pearl or 3stage base are the hardest)

by stripping the full bumper you would then need at least .5litre of plastic primer another .3-.5litre of base and the same again of laquer, whereas the spot in method would vastly reducce the amounts needed and cost you a lot less.

rather than just read about it have you been and asked any decent bodyshops for quotes? my advice is go off word of mouth if possible,just because a garage has a million pound bodyshop doesnt mean its the best

good luck

Comment

should cost no more than approx 100 quid for that sort of bumper repair

Comment

Working...
              X