Mesh grilles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh grilles?

That, are these standard fit or aftermarket? What's the general consensus on them? Anyone tried the eBay ones? What are they like, any good?

eBay here and here.

The latter looks better mainly because it actually has a hole for the bonnet catch

Comment

IMHO, the only mesh grill that's looks any good is the genuine RS2 one. personally I prefer the original grill with the chrome surround painted black or replaced with a black surround over all the alternatives.

Looks like this.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by K Simmonds; 23 December 2009, 00:37. Reason: more info
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Could get an rs2 one but they are Ā£Ā£Ā£

I would ebay or buy mesh and diy.

And it helps to have a hole for the bonnet release.
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

A bit better photo of what I'm on about.
          Attached Files

Comment

So B4's did come with mesh grilles from the factory, albeit on the RS2.

I'm not going to stick some piece of crap grille on or make one just for the sake of having mesh, but the 2nd eBay one looks like it might be ok? How is the badge mounted on RS2 grilles as it looks as though I'd have to glue it on the eBay one...

Otherwise I have been debating whether or not to de-chrome my standard grille as K says not sure how it'll look on an otherwise standard silver coupe though..

Safe to assume nobody has tried an eBay one though?

Comment

I've seen a coupe of the eBay ones in the flesh, including the Kamil one which is supposedly good quality, they all look pants. I like the RS2 item due to it's sympathetic surround design but feel that the same mesh is required in the bumper for sake of continuity.

If you want to do an easily reversible test, then cover the chrome surround with black insulation tape, this should give you a good idea of what it will look like.

Comment

I know what you mean about continuity, it's something I'd thought of already... Electrical tape is a good idea! Think I'll probably end up painting it anyway though

Comment

i would personaly much rather have the original one as it is than have a ugly mesh grille (exept the rs2 witch i have) all those steel mesh gille like kamei and all them ebay ones look pants IMO.
                  Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more picĀ“s of my cars

Comment

Look at my blackout thread, I've gone for a black grille and badges.

Crawford_s2 has the same thing except he sprayed the whole grille rather than take it apart. I've considered some satin silver rings on the front or even satin alpine white to match, could look quite good
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Satin black is much nicer than an RS2 style one

If you post a decent photo of your car, I can photoshop it black for you so you get an idea of how it looks

Comment

one on mine
                        3 Urs to keep , 95 Avant,
                        shedmeister
                        http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t144/jsquatts/

Comment

Okok so I'll steer clear of the eBay ones, I'll wait for an RS2 one

And dest, since I'm too lazy to switch the desktop on and Photoshop it myself

Couldn't do 2 different ones - black surround with chrome badge and black both could ya? And do my indicators clear while you're at it

Cheers!

Comment

Dude i put an ebay one on my 16v and i can defo say it looked like i had rammed into halfords, shoved it in reverse and driven off with wot ever crap had stuck! Not my wisest move. Sold the car with it in the boot in the end. Not a nice gril to have. The rs4 and s4 grills fit too and are easier and cheaper to buy

Comment

None of the RS4 or s4 grilles fit... were did you get such b0ll0cks info mate?
                              Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more picĀ“s of my cars

Comment

Working...
                              X