Adjusting bonnet cable/latch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting bonnet cable/latch??

Right i've had all the front end apart over the last few weeks, and now we're having trouble adjusting the cable to get both sides of the bonnet to pop up when pulling the lever from inside the car.

Is there any guide to this because we've cut the slack on both sides for thr cable but still the bonnet only pops up from one side?

Thanks
    F I R E U P T H E Q U A T T R O

1996 S2 coupe aqua green sold
    1990 MK2 Golf gti 16v oak green sold

Try turning the pins that are actually in the bonnet so it is closer into the bonnet on the side that is sticking.

Comment

Check and make sure you haven't accidentally trapped the cable in round the slam panel / lock carrier area... I did this once and it took a while to spot it.
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

If the front slam panel was removed you need to get them aligned with the pins on the bonnet. Easy way to slack off the bolts just enough so can move the panel around, then gently close the bonnet half way until you feel the pins enter the catch. Lift the bonnet and torque up the nuts again.

I have never had to re adjust the release cable, its always just of matter of getting the panel/pins aligned properly.
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by AquaS2 View Post
          Right i've had all the front end apart over the last few weeks, and now we're having trouble adjusting the cable to get both sides of the bonnet to pop up when pulling the lever from inside the car.

Is there any guide to this because we've cut the slack on both sides for thr cable but still the bonnet only pops up from one side?

Thanks
          I had a similar problem on a non-S2 coupe - turned out that I had managed to break the conical sleeve that sits over the cable and butts against the springs (on the outer side of the springs).

Managed to bodge something together using a rawplug and some washers which is still working today

Comment

Working...
          X