lacquer peel - temporary repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lacquer peel - temporary repair?

I was intending to get the roof resprayed and the glass changed but i have run out of time...the lacquer is peeling on the top of the a pillar, is there a quick way to clean it up and make it look reasonable....its irks me that the paint is exposed and is letting the rest of the car down

thought was to just get some lacquer from halfrauds and just try and seal it but i figured it would look a bit messy.....any tips etc?

Ta

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

David, its a respray of the whole panel / affected area I am afraid. You could try adding lacquer but I think it will do more harm (in terms of appearance) than good. I would not worry about the paint being exposed if it is just lacquer that has peeled. If it is down the metal then there is more to worry about. The lacquer is more of a decorative layer than anything.

HTH

Cheers,

Steve.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Keep it topped up with a decent sealant/LSP until you can get it sorted properly

Comment

How many days you got?

Get it up to aiden, mine's having the roof done over the next couple of days

Comment

i will get it up to him when i get back for sure but not really enough time to now i dont think
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

If you get a chance have a word with him and see what he can do

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
              I was intending to get the roof resprayed and the glass changed but i have run out of time...the lacquer is peeling on the top of the a pillar, is there a quick way to clean it up and make it look reasonable....its irks me that the paint is exposed and is letting the rest of the car down

thought was to just get some lacquer from halfrauds and just try and seal it but i figured it would look a bit messy.....any tips etc?

Ta

David
              I had the same problem with my Polo last October and like you wanted something to stop it getting worse over the winter. I bol**ked on lots of Screwfix clear metal lacquer and to my surprise it's still on looking good - not up to Steve's standards but it has stopped the paint underneath getting worse.

John

Comment

hmm interesting, might give it a go just to protect it a bit thanks
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

wet sand the surrounding area and the exposed paint lightly then blow over with laquer ,flat off again then machine polish back to gloss
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by T2Andy View Post
                    wet sand the surrounding area and the exposed paint lightly then blow over with laquer ,flat off again then machine polish back to gloss
                    Easier said than done. (Just ask Sonic )

He broke through the clear coat and managed to get down to the undercoat on my wife's Audi 80 sport trying wetsanding! wave:

I would not recommend wetsanding to anyone but a Pro or very very keen amateur. Although if you are going to have a respray eventually what have you got to lose?

Cheers,

Steve.
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Keep it simple and just let a pro do it. Often trying to cover it with rubbish will only make it more if a job when the professional comes to re-finish it

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                        Easier said than done. (Just ask Sonic )

He broke through the clear coat and managed to get down to the undercoat on my wife's Audi 80 sport trying wetsanding! wave:

I would not recommend wetsanding to anyone but a Pro or very very keen amateur. Although if you are going to have a respray eventually what have you got to lose?

Cheers,

Steve.
                        (apologies again, 2 years later)

It was literally like putting a molten knife through butter, one wipe and it was gone!

Taught me alot...

S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Still
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic

Comment

Christ you boys love that blue tape!

Comment

Saves alot of hassle clearing up the dust in tiny gaps and polishing anywhere near rubber.
                              S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X