Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respray

Hi all,
    Looking at possibility of having proper respray to my car (back to metal). Does anyone know of good workshop and had personal dealings with anyone?
    Cheers
    Chris
    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

no but would be interested in the response...
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I have had several dealings with paintwork in the past, and the one thing I've learnt is don't be tight!

I had some paintwork done on a MGB a few years back by a big bodyshop (Wilson and Young, of Seaton Delaval), where they actually match the paint on your car, and mix thier own. Absolutely spot on . Then had a bit done by a small local firm when I stuffed the TVR year before last, and the finish was crap, and the preparation must have been non-existant..

Learns yer lessons

Comment

Originally posted by salmon
        the one thing I've learnt is don't be tight!
        I remember watching A Car is Reborn (the E-Type). He got the E-Type bead blasted back to bare metal and then repainted. It cost over £6000 for that job alone. It looked pretty special once done admittedly.
        ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Don't be tight, has my sentiments, i am in the trade and i am afraid as is with much of life "you get what you pay for"

Comment

oh i know a place in Bristol very good, if you pay

Comment

Know good place in the south east if anyone interested but, in the words of Swiss Tony "Like fine wine, chocolates and women, you need to spend the money to get a decent job. Otherwise you could end up with a nasty taste in your mouth!!"
              Ragusa Coupe gone!
              sigpic
              VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
              VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
              vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

Originally posted by groofosp
                Know good place in the south east if anyone interested but, in the words of Swiss Tony "Like fine wine, chocolates and women, you need to spend the money to get a decent job. Otherwise you could end up with a nasty taste in your mouth!!"
                I understand that and also that someone needs to see a car before quote can be made but what sort of £££££££ we talking about? Not expecting £500 but would like ball park figure
                Chris
                Last edited by jogi730; 12 August 2004, 18:46.
                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Depends where you go but £2500 ish seems about right maybe a little more

Comment

Originally posted by jogi730
                    I understand that and also that someone needs to see a car before quote can be made but what sort of £££££££ we talking about? Not expecting £500 but would like ball park figure
                    Chris
                    Anything under £2000 for a respray, ie all panels including shuts, is too cheap. To do a decent job the car must be stripped to a rolling shell, including taking out all windows ( a right sod on an s2 as they are bonded in) this alone costs money to do properly. Audi galvanized shell makes it more expensive cos it needs special primer or it wont stick. Id happily pay 2.5k for a good job on a straight car and maybe more for pearl or metalic
                    Ragusa Coupe gone!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CHEN
                      Depends where you go but £2500 ish seems about right maybe a little more
                      Wo snap!
                      Ragusa Coupe gone!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by groofosp
                        Wo snap!
                        Mine had a total re-spray in 1997 for about £2k. it was done by a body Shop in Stockport called Roger Burgess. The car was stripped, painted ( very well) I re-assembled the car myself and it is a lovely job. the car is red and the paint hasn't faded.

Only use 2 pack paint and get it from a decent manufacturer....

Painting is the easy bit takes 10-15% of the time. The stripping re-building and preperation takes the time.

Why not strip the car yourself, seats, carpet, trim etc. out in the loft, take the windows out, the front and rear only are bonded you can drive the car with all the trim out to the paint shop. They will love you for doing this as they don't want to strip and re-build. As with all people they like doing a good job. A bare car can be so much easier to work with. The only blemish my car has is a slicht bubbling of the paint on the 'badge area' of the tailgate. This is a known Audi problem and is not a quality of work problem. Going back to bare metal is not essential, if the car has been resprayed before then it may make sense or to use a barrier coat of paint. Stripping the paint off is a horrible job and is best done with plastic granule media blasting. This is pellets of plastic ( same as washing up bowls) which is shot at the paint and does not damage bare steel ( or galvanising). It will attack localised rust though. I would imagine a cost of 2K for a good paint job on a stripped car. Why pay someone to remove the seats from your car if you can do it yourself? Whilst the car is away you can clean the carpet ( I pressure washed mine!), valet the interior and generaly check and clean everything. Use Decasol and a nail brush of the vinly / leather, it will come up very well.

Where are you Chris?

HTH

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                          Mine had a total re-spray in 1997 for about £2k. it was done by a body Shop in Stockport called Roger Burgess. The car was stripped, painted ( very well) I re-assembled the car myself and it is a lovely job. the car is red and the paint hasn't faded.

Only use 2 pack paint and get it from a decent manufacturer....

Painting is the easy bit takes 10-15% of the time. The stripping re-building and preperation takes the time.

Why not strip the car yourself, seats, carpet, trim etc. out in the loft, take the windows out, the front and rear only are bonded you can drive the car with all the trim out to the paint shop. They will love you for doing this as they don't want to strip and re-build. As with all people they like doing a good job. A bare car can be so much easier to work with. The only blemish my car has is a slicht bubbling of the paint on the 'badge area' of the tailgate. This is a known Audi problem and is not a quality of work problem. Going back to bare metal is not essential, if the car has been resprayed before then it may make sense or to use a barrier coat of paint. Stripping the paint off is a horrible job and is best done with plastic granule media blasting. This is pellets of plastic ( same as washing up bowls) which is shot at the paint and does not damage bare steel ( or galvanising). It will attack localised rust though. I would imagine a cost of 2K for a good paint job on a stripped car. Why pay someone to remove the seats from your car if you can do it yourself? Whilst the car is away you can clean the carpet ( I pressure washed mine!), valet the interior and generaly check and clean everything. Use Decasol and a nail brush of the vinly / leather, it will come up very well.

Where are you Chris?

HTH

David
                          Thanks for that David.
                          I live in London.
                          Unfortunately, stripping car myself is not really an option as have nowhere to store all the bits and rented garage is not entirely waterproof.
                          HAve had 3 guesstimates. £3000 + vat, £3000 cash and £2000 cash. So all more or less around price people saying. Now just need to see some of each garages work and find out about guaratee for work.
                          Chris
                          Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

How bad is the paint now?

As in could it be brought back to scratch with a bit of T-cut, cos £2k is a lot of money to spend on the car, and are you likely to see any significant rise in the cars value.

Personally, no matter how much I liked my car, I would resent spending that much money a car if I wasn't going to see any of it back.

Comment

Working...
                            X