Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bubbling front arches....whats the best option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bubbling front arches....whats the best option?

Morning all!

My lovely new s2 has some bubbling under the paint probably due to all the salt in Scotland!

From how I see it I have 2 options....
    1 - sand the arches down, fill them in and respray
    2 - get two new front wings, spray and fit

What the best option? Or any others I've missed?

Will need some paint attention in some other minor areas too.

cheers,

Will
    1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Depends how bad, i'd say new arches are best, and at least that way you won't have to have in pieces for longer than it takes to fit, if you're dependent upon it?
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

depends how bad. normally the nutserts that the bump attach with are pretty corroded.
      Also there should be a bit of plastic tape where the bumper meets the wing to stop it rubbing which also causes rust if its missing as the bumper rubs through the paint.
      You've got nothing to loose by tring to salvage your exisiting wings if they're not too bad, whip them off and have a basj with the wire brush
      IMHO only buy genuine wings if you're going new, since they come galvanised and e-coated so will last for anther 20 years.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

If you do go for new wings remember to drill the indicator side repeater holes before you paint them. Unless the price has gone up alot they were reasonable when i bought mine £88 plus VAT

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          IMHO only buy genuine wings if you're going new, since they come galvanised and e-coated so will last for anther 20 years.

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

Originally posted by shaun5 View Post
            If you do go for new wings remember to drill the indicator side repeater holes before you paint them. Unless the price has gone up alot they were reasonable when i bought mine £88 plus VAT
            Didn't know they were that cheap.... Thats cheaper than my Mk2 golf ones and they arn't galvanised...

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

forgot to say mine were genuine wings

Comment

If they are bubbling in the front they are worse at the back, you will have to treat the inside of the wing if you want your repair to hold. Also dont buy a second hand set of wings, go for new if you are going to replace. Chances are the s/h ones are as bad as the ones you are taking off.
                Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

I'll have to call up and ask. Was that from Audi for £88?

Seems to make sense!
                  1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

mine are the same, when it came to take the bumper off the captive nuts just twisted straight off and couldnt be undone because of the rust, so im also on the lookout for some new wings, was it audi that you got your new wings from? if so that is pretty cheep
                    URS4 load lugger
                    Accord type R being used by my missus but is my daily hack

Comment

yep genuine Audi wings, got the new nut inserts as well. Total bill for 2 wings and 4 nut inserts was £202 including VAT

Comment

That's a good price, sure I got quoted more than that recently. As has been said it depends on just how bad the corrosion is on both sides of the wing lip. Sometimes they can caught in time and repaired, though more often than not it's best to replace the wing. Can you post some pic's?
                        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

i did notice on the reciept they should have cost £125 each, My local Audi centre always give me good discount, always ask for trade price if you dont ask you dont get.

Comment

yep my passenger side one has just started bubbling but prices look ok for once
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

steady now! Lets not all buy at once or they'll be £400 each before you can say "extortion".
                              Bean counting w**kers! :corey:

I bought a pair of good ones off the bay for £40 then painted the back and non-visible bits in POR15 then sprayed them with underseal - should last forever now
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X