No announcement yet.

How much is this damage going to cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is this damage going to cost?

This damage happened today! i didn't see it happen but it was whilst i was parked up and i've a good idea how, but best not to go into it.

I wonder does anyone know how much this would be likely to cost to repair? I don't know wether it would be worth contacting my insurance as my excess is high and being 24 my premiums are bad enough to begin with!

Any comments welcome

Thanks, dan.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

i wouldn't of thought it would cost much more than 300 quid, depending on where you take it . i wouldn't claim unless i really had to . most of that damage would push out.. get a few quote if i was you . i have a good mate with a car body shop but probably a bit far away for you . being on the herefordshire / powys border . you ' d get a good quote there for shaw . he fully respayed my s2 last summer.
    Last edited by ryster; 7 February 2011, 21:27.

Comment

as mentioned most of that would push out, the trim thats down the side of the car comes off easy enough not worth going thru the insurance company as they will most likely write the car off.

Comment

insurance will probably write it off

Should pull out ok, i agree maybe £300-400?
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Cheers boys

I didn't think it would be worth going down the insurance route. I do all the mechanical work myself, but bodywork isn't my thing so its got me worried.

So how is the red strip attatched? Can you get to the other side easy enough to push it out?

any help is much appreciated,

Dan
          sigpic

Comment

take the inside panel out . and there 2 or 3 nut holding the strip on there maybe some sekaflex ( like mass stick ) holding it on too. . then just give it a push and see if some of the dent pop out . if you take to the body shop with some of the work done it will be cheaper for you . its not that bad really

Comment

There is a guy in Birmingham who specalises in paint less dent removal and he is really, really good at it.
              I'll get the details if you like
              sigpic
              "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
              BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
              1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
              2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Originally posted by rj scotty View Post
                There is a guy in Birmingham who specalises in paint less dent removal and he is really, really good at it.
                I'll get the details if you like
                Thanks very much for the offer, however i've already lost paint from the impact and it is unfortunatley a bit far from me, here in the furthest reaches of west wales.

take the inside panel out . and there 2 or 3 nut holding the strip on there maybe some sekaflex ( like mass stick ) holding it on too. . then just give it a push and see if some of the dent pop out . if you take to the body shop with some of the work done it will be cheaper for you . its not that bad really
                Thanks for that, i will definatley give that a go myself, as you say it might make it cheaper even if it's just giving better access for the repair.

Thanks

Dan.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigdan View Post
                  So how is the red strip attatched? Can you get to the other side easy enough to push it out?
                  Easy enough to get at the back, pop the rear door card off (think you need the rear seat side bolster off?), one screw in door opening, one mid way down the forward curve of the rear wheel well and one at the top back of the door card, door card lifts up and off (don't forget to disconnect speaker wiring). Straight forward to take apart anyway.

Trim strip has three or four studs that pass through holes in the body and is held on by nuts.

Removing the seat belt reel may also help access to get out the crease in the bottom.

Personally I would just push the panel back out, however I don't think the crease in the bottom left will just pop out as the metal looks creased/stretched.

Only thing I would say if you are taking it to the body shop by all means strip parts off to save time/let them see what they have got, however I would be wary of pushing it out as you could stretch the metal and make their job more awkward.
                  Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                  Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Snap !! Don't ask

For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

i've got them side bump strips in my for sale thread if you need it.
                      [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]/SIGPIC]92 3B pearl white=gone back home to Germany,probably in bits and pieces

RS2 VOLCANO BLACK] soon to be broken to bits

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                        Easy enough to get at the back, pop the rear door card off (think you need the rear seat side bolster off?), one screw in door opening, one mid way down the forward curve of the rear wheel well and one at the top back of the door card, door card lifts up and off (don't forget to disconnect speaker wiring). Straight forward to take apart anyway.

Trim strip has three or four studs that pass through holes in the body and is held on by nuts.

Removing the seat belt reel may also help access to get out the crease in the bottom.

Personally I would just push the panel back out, however I don't think the crease in the bottom left will just pop out as the metal looks creased/stretched.

Only thing I would say if you are taking it to the body shop by all means strip parts off to save time/let them see what they have got, however I would be wary of pushing it out as you could stretch the metal and make their job more awkward.

Hi, thanks for that, some great advice there. I'm quite concerned about that crease in the bottom left, perhaps it would be better to strip the parts off and then take it for a quote before i start on it!
                        Although i'd love to get it back near enough perfect, money will be the deciding factor i'm afraid.

Thanks,

Dan
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gripper View Post
                          Snap !! Don't ask

I feel your pain! Gutted
                          sigpic

Comment

Bigdan,

"Only thing I would say if you are taking it to the body shop by all means strip parts off to save time/let them see what they have got, however I would be wary of pushing it out as you could stretch the metal and make their job more awkward".

Only strip the parts on the inside and get a quote / repair, take it to someone who appreciates older cars. Don't be tempted to push it out, as you'll mess up the metal, best to let an experienced panel beater bring the metal back into shape. Pushing out the metal would do more harm than good and will not save any money.

Very annoying, but the area that's damaged is not too bad of a panel compared to what it could have been. No damage is any good, but the comforting factor is that it could have been worse, i.e. "deeper" causing more significant damage.

Eminently repairable.

Kind regards.

Comment

Originally posted by David in Dublin View Post
                              Only strip the parts on the inside and get a quote / repair, take it to someone who appreciates older cars. Don't be tempted to push it out, as you'll mess up the metal, best to let an experienced panel beater bring the metal back into shape. Pushing out the metal would do more harm than good and will not save any money.

Very annoying, but the area that's damaged is not too bad of a panel compared to what it could have been. No damage is any good, but the comforting factor is that it could have been worse, i.e. "deeper" causing more significant damage.

Eminently repairable.

Kind regards.
                              Hi,
                              Some more good sensible advice there, thank you. There is a company local to me who's owner is very fond of s2's and used to own one, so i think he's a good bet

I will try and resist the urge to push it out myself!!

I've got to say that all these kind comments have really cheered me up!

Thanks,
                              Dan
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X