Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-spray

Hi,

I am looking for the best way to have a good bond between the old and the new paint during a car respray. So far i have only seen people going over the old paint, when in good condition, with scotch-bright or 1600 wet or so. Is there anything else? Mybe nitro solvent or something else?

thanks

@ot
    Anyone has color codes for good looking white pearl colors? (Audi UrS4, Lancia Delta evo, lamborghini)?
    Go Holset or Go RS4

What condition is the exesting substrate in? Does it need sealing?

Comment

it has its dent that i am gonna fill but i am concerned about the rest. I mean the parts where it goes not need body filler. The question is do i need a some sort of primer for the old but in good shape paint or not?
      Last edited by Billman; 13 April 2011, 07:55.
      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Audi S2 pearl is LOA9
        There is also LOB9
        RS2 Pearl white is I believe LOA or LO9, can't remember which.

They are three part paints, so a base, top and clear coats. It makes a huge difference the number of coats of the top coat.

Le Mans 2012
        Nurburgring 700
        1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by madpugger View Post
          Audi S2 pearl is LOA9
          There is also LOB9
          RS2 Pearl white is I believe LOA or LO9, can't remember which.

They are three part paints, so a base, top and clear coats. It makes a huge difference the number of coats of the top coat.
          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

It will be fine to use a scotch pad, make sure you do edges and tight curves on the panel well. For any of the good paint that has orange peel already block it off with some 1500 followed by 2000. Use a squirty bottle with a drip of fairy liquid in it.
            For any stone chips or silicones use a spreader card and push some stopper into them and then wet flat them off.
            Once your colour is on you can again wet flat any imperfections and then apply your lacquer.
            Again once the lacquer is on you can wet flat any areas that require it followed by a machine polish and a wax

Should look great when finished
            Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Great thanks for the info guys!

@Tonks
              when the color is on and i wet flat it, would it not need a base coat again before the clear coat?
              Last edited by Billman; 13 April 2011, 08:31.
              Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

only if you rub through, which is really easy to do on edges so avoid them if you can
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I wouldn't recommend wet flatting the base, simple one way strokes with 2000 grit (no less if possible) will be fine, definatly no flatting wet if base is waterbourne. A simple drop coat afterwards would help if you think you have rubbed a lot.
                  Are you going 3stage pearl? It's not something I would recommend for a novice painter as it's a difficult process

Comment

would not the wet rub cause the color to become whiter?
                    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by 86style View Post
                      I wouldn't recommend wet flatting the base, simple one way strokes with 2000 grit (no less if possible) will be fine, definatly no flatting wet if base is waterbourne. A simple drop coat afterwards would help if you think you have rubbed a lot.
                      Are you going 3stage pearl? It's not something I would recommend for a novice painter as it's a difficult process
                      no it is for my g'friends Matiz that is going to be VW pepper grey metallic (U5/D7R). Right now I am in the process of filler rubbing and big dents repairing...

The pearl color is for an Aprilia Scarabeo ;-)

I also bought recently a DeVilbiss copy that is spraying really nice.
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by Billman View Post
                        would not the wet rub cause the color to become whiter?
                        In a 3stage pearl you would normally have a solid white base followed by a pearl coat with a high percentage of binder in (this helps the pearl by keeping it in suspension like metal flake in clear coat) once applied usually most of the binder evaporates out leaving the pearl film. If you get dirt in this coat and flat it you run a very high risk of rubbing through that film and leaving an area of just White base. This will be difficult to spot as your base dries to a matte finish and would only show once a clear coat had been applied ruining all the hard work. If you were to get a run it would also be game over and you would have to flat it completely out and re-start the process, bearing in mind too much of a pearl coat can make a panel look darker to an adjacent panel with half as much on. Welcome to the paint word ps good luck and post ur pics up once done

Comment

yes i will!!!! Problem is i dont have the before pictures (with the dents on) but i will post pictures of the car with the filler till the end.
                          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by 86style View Post
                            In a 3stage pearl you would normally have a solid white base followed by a pearl coat with a high percentage of binder in (this helps the pearl by keeping it in suspension like metal flake in clear coat) once applied usually most of the binder evaporates out leaving the pearl film. If you get dirt in this coat and flat it you run a very high risk of rubbing through that film and leaving an area of just White base. This will be difficult to spot as your base dries to a matte finish and would only show once a clear coat had been applied ruining all the hard work. If you were to get a run it would also be game over and you would have to flat it completely out and re-start the process, bearing in mind too much of a pearl coat can make a panel look darker to an adjacent panel with half as much on. Welcome to the paint word ps good luck and post ur pics up once done
                            Blimey ! My Indigo Pearl Blue Coupe will be some fun and games then when she gets painted
                            For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

Did the respray today to the daewoo matiz of my girlfriend and I wanted to ask how to remove the spray dust and small picks it got on the laquer?

Wet with a 1500 and then some teroson terowax?
                              Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                              X