Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No panic but - behind wheel-arch liners......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No panic but - behind wheel-arch liners......

While tidying up the silver Avant's suspension and freeing up all of the seized nuts and bolts / replacing seized brake pipes,

I decided to check out the areas behind the black plastic wheel-arch liners, both front and rear.

They're helpful in protecting the metal bodywork under the wheel-arch, but they're not perfect.

While you can power wash your arches and think your car is clean under there, when you take out the black plastic wheel-arch liner you will find a fair bit of accumulated mud built up over the years, and possibly rust that you weren't aware of.

Failure, (by previous owners in earlier years of the car's life), to clean out the mud and salt building up behind wheel-arch liner at the leading edge of the front wings is the cause of the edge of the front wings always rusting, and same happens to a lesser extent at the trailing edge of the rear wheel-arches.

Just a reminder of a pita for some or a wake up call for others.

HTH either way.

Now need to sort my rusty areas discovered.

This post / thread is similar to the post somebody recently posted about whats's lurking behind the plastic sill covers.

kind regards.
    Last edited by macspring; 7 April 2013, 17:34.

Any rust prevention advice is good especially this one

My thread on sill covers below

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51567
    sigpic
    "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
    BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
    1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
    2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Our cars are at least 16 years old now. As good and as galvanised as they are we need to think seriously about the ongoing maintenance procedure of rust prevention and repair.

ignore it at your peril !
      sigpic
      "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
      BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
      1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
      2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

From dismantling a few avants I can say it is shocking how much dirt builds up in those areas.

Strangely I've not seen one with bad sills ! Lots of mud behind them though so only a matter of time though I guess.

Comment

Working...
        X