lost key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost key

I just wondered if it possible to make key copy from the lock. I understand this maybe expensive but it would be much cheaper then buying and replacing all the barrels.
    The car in question is Urq.
    Thanks
    sigpic_________
    Rob

yes,
    you'll need to ring around to get someone who works on car keys regular.
    they'll take the barrel apart and check the tumblers which are all numbered.
    if one key works all the locks it may be easier to remove the boot or glove box barrel etc than the door.
    without giving away tricks of the trade if you get someone who's real good they can read the key just by looking at it.

Originally posted by robo View Post
    I just wondered if it possible to make key copy from the lock. I understand this maybe expensive but it would be much cheaper then buying and replacing all the barrels.
    The car in question is Urq.
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by S2TORNADO View Post
      yes,
      you'll need to ring around to get someone who works on car keys regular.
      they'll take the barrel apart and check the tumblers which are all numbered.
      if one key works all the locks it may be easier to remove the boot or glove box barrel etc than the door.
      without giving away tricks of the trade if you get someone who's real good they can read the key just by looking at it.
      Great news, thanks.
      sigpic_________
      Rob

Comment

You can go to the dealer and order replacement keys for your car once you prove you own the car. Much simpler and better. Brand new factory key(s) for the car is really great.

HTH

Comment

keys

robo greenford security in greenford do it iv used them loadsa times ther ***** hot i think ther on greenford rd or lane so google them they will cut ne key for ne lock

Comment

Great replies, thank you all.
            sigpic_________
            Rob

Comment

any descent locksmith will match keys to locks if you take the barrel in and prove you own the car etc, i used to pay average of 70-90 quid from local company.
              SEan.
              1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
              1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
              BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

You can get a key that fits ( the hole) then get the barrel out.

Put the key in the barrel the metal plates locks what ever they are called will rise up then file the metal plate lock thingys down so they are level with the barrel.

Then put the barrel back into the housing and your key will work with the lock..

The only down side i remember to this was another key might fit also ( pretty unlikely though)

And if its on a ur im sure this wont be an issue if somebody is trying to take it as the feckers do they wont go through the lock to get in.. ( AKA SCUM)

Used to do this loads on old VWs ETC just impossible with newer Keys.

Comment

Originally posted by pixsaudisex2 View Post
                  You can get a key that fits ( the hole) then get the barrel out.

Put the key in the barrel the metal plates locks what ever they are called will rise up then file the metal plate lock thingys down so they are level with the barrel.

Then put the barrel back into the housing and your key will work with the lock..

But that would mean I have to get all of the barrels out?
                  sigpic_________
                  Rob

Comment

O yes. . bit of work! but not to bad surely.:mischeif:

Comment

almost certainly you'll have to get one of the barrels out, thats why i asked if the one key worked all of them so you can pick the easiest to get out.
                      the little metal "thingys" are called tumblers and they're individually spring(very small) loaded.
                      tumblers have different profiles, each profile is numbered 1-9 and there are usually around six in a barrel.
                      a key man will take out the tumblers in the correct order and cut the key profile to match. i.e 2-6-6-1-8-7 or whatever your tumbler combination is. the different angles on your key match the appropriate tumbler profiles.
                      hope that makes it clear.

Comment

Tumbler that was them lol..

Comment

almost certainly you'll have to get one of the barrels out, thats why i asked if the one key worked all of them so you can pick the easiest to get out.
                          One key worked on all locks and that includes the glove box. easiest lock to remove would be then the glove box.
                          cheers
                          sigpic_________
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by robo View Post
                            One key worked on all locks and that includes the glove box. easiest lock to remove would be then the glove box.
                            cheers
                            yes, probably the glove box on a ur. try and keep the barrel in its little housing and let the key man take it apart. if you strip it down too far the springs will go everywhere and you'll lose them. also, if you let the tumblers fall out the guy won't know what order they are and you'll end having to take another barrel out!!!

Comment

yes, probably the glove box on a ur. try and keep the barrel in its little housing and let the key man take it apart. if you strip it down too far the springs will go everywhere and you'll lose them. also, if you let the tumblers fall out the guy won't know what order they are and you'll end having to take another barrel out!!!
                              cheers
                              sigpic_________
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X